Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE)
The Indian Institute of Science (IISc) and seven Indian Institutes of Technology(IITs at Bombay, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras, and Roorkee) jointly administer the conduct of GATE. A zonal GATE Office manages the operations related to GATE in each of the 8 zones at the IITs or IISc.
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) 2018 will be conducted by Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati (IIT G). Prof. G. Pugazhenthi who is a Chemical Engineering professor in IIT Guwahati since July 2015 will be the Chairman for GATE 2018 organizing committee. Last year the exam was conducted by IIT Roorkee, which had introduced a new section in one of the question papers and had also conducted the exam for International candidates. IIT Guwahati will begin the application procedure for GATE on September 1, 2017.
GATE 2018 exam will be conducted in February 2018 on four dates – February 3, February 4, February 10 and February 11.
The Organizing Institute (OI) is responsible for the end-to-end process and coordination amongst the administering Institutes. Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee is the Organizing Institute for GATE 2018.
GATE is conducted by the Indian Institute of Science and seven IITs on behalf of the National Coordination Board – GATE, Department of Higher Education, HRD ministry.
It tests the comprehensive understanding of engineering and science students of various undergraduate subjects. The test scores are used for admission to the master of engineering, master of technology and Ph.D. programs in higher educational institutes in India.
The examination is conducted for the candidates across India who wish to pursue their Masters or Doctorate levels in the field. The exam tests the candidates’ aptitude for science, identify the candidate’s understanding of a subject and eligibility for higher learning.
In the past few years, Government Organizations and National/State Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) are also using the GATE score card for recruitment purposes, according to the GATE Organizing chairman, Govind Chakrapani.
GATE 2018 Exam Dates ( Download Broucher )
|Commencement of Online Application Form||1st September 2017|
|Last Date of Application Form Submission||9th October 2017 (Extended)|
|Last Date to request for change in examination city||17th November 2017|
|Admit Card Availability||5th January 2018|
|GATE 2018 Exam Date||3rd, 4th February & 10th, 11th February 2018(Forenoon: 9:00 AM to 12:00 Noon)|
(Afternoon: 2:00 PM to 5:00 PM)
|Answer Key Released On||Within a few days after examination|
|Result Declaration||17th March 2018|
|Downloading of Score Card Begins||Last week of March 2018 to Last week of May 2018|
|Counselling Commence||Second week of April 2018|
Requests for Correction in GATE 2018 Application Form has been started now. Click here for correction details. GATE 2018 Registration has been started now. Candidates can register for this exam till 5th October. Click here to register.
|Admit Cards||Applicaation Form||Application Fees|
|Exam Date||Exam Review||Score Card|
|Eligibility Criteria||Exam Pattern||Syllabus|
|Results||Rank Predictor||Merit List|
|Answer Keys||Tip and Tricks||Recruitment through GATE|
GATE Registration 2018
GATE 2018 Registration has been started now. Candidates can register for this exam till 5th October. Click here to register.
The brief details of GATE Registration is given below:
- All the candidates have to apply online only.
- GATE registration 2018 will be started from the 1st September 2017.
- The registration will be end till the 5th October 2017.
- The authority will provide a period of approx one month for the application process.
- Aspirants have to fill GATE 2018 application form through GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS).
- Candidates have to register as a “New User”.
- After successful registration, they will get the access to GOAPS.
- Thereafter, they are required to login using GOAPS Enrollment ID and GOAPS Password.
- While filling the application form, students need to upload scanned photograph, signature, thumb impression, degree certificate or category certificate.
- International candidates are also eligible to apply.
- GATE 2018 will be conducted in Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Nepal, Singapore, Sri Lanka and United Arab Emirates.
- Application procedure for international candidates is same as Indians.
- International candidates must possess a valid passport to apply.
GATE Registration Dates 2018
The official registration dates for GATE 2018 is given below:
|Online registration starts from||1st September 2017|
|Closing date of submission of application form||5th October 2017|
|Correction in application form||2nd week of October 2017|
|Last date to change examination city||17th November 2017|
|GATE 2018 exam date||3rd – 4th February & 10th – 11th February 2018(Forenoon: 9:00 AM to 12:00 Noon)|
(Afternoon: 2:00 PM to 5:00 PM)
GATE Virtual Calculator
GATE Virtual Calculator is the online calculator that contains all the operations and functions to perform calculations. The virtual calculator will be provided during the online exam. No physical calculator will be allowed in the exam room. Students should use the virtual calculator to solve digital response type questions.
GATE Registration Fee
Registration fees vary by category and gender. The registration fee for SC / ST / PwD candidates is Rs. 750 / -. For all applicants in another category, the application fee is Rs. 1500 / -. International applicants must pay US $ 50. Fees can be paid through bank, debit card and e-challan.
Candidates can pay the application fee via Net banking, debit card or e-challan. GATE 2018 registration fee details are given below:
|Women Candidates||Rs. 750/-|
|SC/ST/PwD Candidates||Rs. 750/-|
|All Other Candidates||Rs. 1500/-|
|GATE International Candidates||US Dollars 50|
Correction to the GATE 2018 Application Form
Minor changes will be permitted in the GATE 2018 application form. Correction of the GATE application will only be permitted after the application form has been submitted. In the event that, if there was an error committed by the applicant in the application, he should send an e-mail submitted to the “Correction in the data (registration number)” along with proof of the document.
Corrections/modifications to GATE will be granted in the following fields:
GATE Corrections/Modifications will be granted in the following fields:
- Name of Candidate
- Name of Parent/Guardian
- Status from Gen to OBC and OBC to General
- Have you graduated in the above degree?
- Year of Qualifying Degree
What’s new in GATE Exam 2018?
- This year, the Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee is conducting the GATE 2018. The exam will be held during forenoon and afternoon sessions on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) on 3rd, 4th February & 10th, 11th January 2018.
- The examination for all the 23 papers (disciplines) will be held conducted by an online computer-based test. A candidate can appear only in any one paper of the GATE examination. Some of the papers in GATE 2018 will be held in multiple sessions. Exact details regarding complete IIT Delhi11 examination schedule will be notified at a later date, on the GATE 2018 website
- The online examination paper will contain some questions for which numerical answers must be keyed in by the candidate using the virtual keypad. Rest of the questions shall be of multiple choice question type. The candidates will be provided with a virtual on-screen calculator
- Physical calculator, mobile phone, and wrist watches with calculation facility are strictly prohibited and candidates possessing these in the examination hall (even if not using) shall be disqualified
- Biometric information (photograph and fingerprints) for randomly selected candidates may be captured before the start of the examination
- The admit cards for GATE 2018 would be available through the online process only. The candidates can download they are admitting card from the official website and take a printout for future reference.
All you need to know about GATE 2018
GATE 2018 score validity is of three years from the date of publishing of result within which they can be used for both postgraduate admission and PSU recruitment.
The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is becoming the sole deciding factor for recruitment of Engineering graduates into the coveted Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) and admission for post graduate degrees at all IITs, NITs and Indian Institute of Science (IISc).
GATE is a competitive examination conducted jointly by seven Indian Institutes of Technology (Bombay, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras and Roorkee) and the Indian Institute of Science on behalf of the Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resources Development (MHRD), once a year.
This entrance exam is focused on testing the technical competence of a candidate. Every year, around 10 lakh candidates appear for the exam, making it the second most competitive exam in the country in terms of number of candidates taking the examination, with the first being the IIT-JEE entrance test
GATE Eligibility Criteria
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/Technology (4 years after 10+2 or 3 years after B.Sc./Diploma in Engineering/Technology) and those who are in the final year of such programs.
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture (Five years course) and those who are in the final year.
- Bachelor’s degree of the Four-year program in Science (B.S.) and those who are in the final year of such programs.
- Master’s degree in any branch of Science/Mathematics/Statistics/Computer Applications or equivalent and those who are in the final year of such programs.
- Four-year Integrated Master’s degree (Post-B.Sc.) in Engineering/Technology and those in the second or higher year of such programs.
- Five-year integrated Master’s degree or Dual Degree in Engineering/Technology and those in the fourth or higher year of such programs
- Five-year Integrated M.Sc. or Five years integrated B.Sc. /M.Sc. degree and those in the final year of such programs.
- Candidates with qualifications obtained through examinations conducted by professional societies recognised by UPSC/AICTE as
- Equivalent to B.E./B.Tech. Those who have completed section A of AMIE or equivalent of such professional courses are also eligible.
GATE is conducted through the collaboration of eight zones. The zones and the corresponding administrative institutes are
|Zone-1: Indian Institute of Science Bangalore|
|Zone-2: Indian Institute of Technology Bombay|
|Zone-3: Indian Institute of Technology Delhi|
|Zone-4: Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati|
|Zone-5: Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur|
|Zone-6: Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur|
|Zone-7: Indian Institute of Technology Madras|
|Zone-8: Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee|
GATE Answer key GATE 2018
The GATE 2018 Answer key will be issued by the authority after completion of the review. The review should be completed in the second week of February 2018. The authority will provide the separate answer key for each discipline. The ease of reply to the reply will also open on the payment of a nominal tax.
GATE Admit Card 2018
The Admit card can be downloaded from the GOAPS website. It will not be sent by e-mail / mail. Successful applicants will be able to download the GATE 2018 Admit card on January 5, 2018. With the hard copy of the Admit card, students must also provide proof of identity to the exam room.
- The candidate has to bring a printed copy of the admit card to the test centre along with the original identification card whose number has been given in the application (Passport, PAN Card, Voter ID, Adhaar UID, Valid College ID, Employee identification card or Driving License).
- For International candidates, ONLY a valid Passport/ Government issued ID/College ID/ Employee ID shall be accepted as the recognised identification. The only permitted photo identifications are; Passport, PAN Card, Voter ID, Aadhaar UID, Valid College ID, Employee identification card or Driving License.
How to Download GATE Admit Card 2018
1. Log on to the official website of GATE (appsgate.iitr.ac.in)
2. Click on the link that says “Download GATE 2018 admit card
3. Now go through the GOAPS login window
- Login with your account.
- Fill the required details such as Enrollment ID/ Email Address or Password and click on “Submit” button
4. Enter the required details in the fields provided and click on submit button
5. Download the hall ticket and take a print out for further reference
NO candidate shall be allowed to enter the examination hall (however, the Center gate shall be closed 25 minutes after the start of the examination) after 30 minutes of the start of the examination.
GATE Fees Structure
- Women candidates will have to pay Rs. 750
- SC/ST/PWD category candidates will have to pay off 750
- All other candidates will pay Rs. 1500
Help Line for GATE Exam
For any GATE queries, contact telephone number 01332-284531 (9.30 am to 5.00 pm, Monday to Saturday) or email [email protected].
GATE 2018 exam pattern at glance
|General Aptitude||1 to 10||10||1.5||15|
|1 to 25||25||1||25|
|26 to 55||30||2||60|
|Total Questions : 65||Total Marks : 100||Total Duration : 3 hours|
|Technical Section :|
|General Aptitude: 15 marks||Engineering Mathematics :|
|25 marks to 40 marks will allotted to Numeric Answer Type Questions|
GATE 2018 Result
GATE result 2018 will be published on the site GOAPS GATE site. The result is likely to be announced on March 17, 2018. After the statement of result, GATE Score card will be available to candidates who have obtained at or above the qualifications of the cutting marks.
GATE Score card 2018
Qualified candidates receive a scorecard that has GATE valid for three years from the date of the announcement of the result. Dashboard GATE 2018 reflects the performance of the candidate for the entrance exam. The possibility of downloading the dashboard will be available from the last week of March here 2018.
GATE 2018 Cut Off
GATE cutting marks decide the candidate’s eligibility for admission to IITs and IISc. It is the factor that decides whether candidates are qualified in the exam or not. The GATE 2018 cutting marks vary in sequence and category. Marks cut for candidates in the reserved category are substantially lower than those in the unqualified category.
GATE 2018 Counselling
It will not proceed to a joint board for IIT to provide admission to PG courses. Students must apply individually to IITs when the notice of admission is published. NTI organized by the centralized consultative M.Tech. / M.Arch./Mr. Admissions (TMCC). It is the joint board led by NTI every year. The board is based solely on the results of 2018.
GATE Score used in Public sector Units for Job (Government Sectors)
The test is not a relatively new one. The GATE has been used as a tool for admitting candidates to post graduate courses in engineering from 1984. From 2012, the examination has also been used by the PSUs in their recruitment process.
The number of PSUs using the GATE score has steadily increased over the years and last year GATE score was used by around 37 PSU in the recruitment process. GATE 2017 score was also used for recruitment of positions in the Cabinet Secretariat in the Government of India.
As one of the country’s most popular and most competitive exams, GATE enables qualifying candidates to get access to get employed inPublic Sector Units (PSU) such as NTPC, BHEL, RITES, BSNL, HAL, ONGC, IOL, among others.
GATE Exam Held in other Countries for Indian Candidates
The stark difference between the previous GATE examinations and GATE 2018 is they are no longer confined to India but will also be conducted in six other countries namely Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Nepal, Singapore, Sri Lanka and United Arab Emirates (U.A.E).
Similar to GATE 2017, the candidates this year will also be not allowed to use calculators for the exam. However, a virtual calculator will be available for the candidates’ use of the test interface
International Universities are Taking GATE Score for Admissions
Over the past few years, foreign universities have also started accepting GATE score as a standardized entry test for the Candidates.
The National University of Singapore (NUS) and Nanyang Technical University (NTU) are few of the foreign universities accepting GATE examination score for postgraduate admissions. Certain Universities in Germany like RWTH Aachen and TU Munich have made GATE score mandatory for Indian nationals to be considered for admission to post graduate courses
Pay package in Industries
Some of the public sector companies have offered CTC as high as around 15 lakh for those candidates who score around 85 per cent in the recruitment/selection process.
The recruitment process will begin in early January where the candidate needs to apply to the various public sector companies individually and provide their registration number allotted in his/her hall ticket.
Most PSUs close their application window before the GATE examination is held. After the results are published by the organising institute tentatively on March 27, the PSUs will individually release a list of shortlisted candidates for the advertised positions for further recruitment stages.
Apart from GATE, certain PSUs at their discretion may also conduct a proficiency written test for the candidate in the domain of the PSU. However such test will not have high weight age in the recruitment process.
The unsteady job nature of the IT and service industry and the desire of the graduates to work in the core area of their engineering discipline has led to the increase in a number of candidates attempting GATE in the recent years.
Good understanding of the subject combined with practice will undoubtedly help the candidates in successfully clearing the test.
Revised Exam Pattern of GATE Exam
The exam consists of two sections with a total of 65 questions for 100 marks for three hours. In general, the questions for the exam are from three different areas namely general aptitude covering 15 marks in the test, engineering mathematics generally for around 10-13 marks of the test and the rest of the marks in the test will be from the core engineering area of the candidate.
The questions will be of both multiple choice type and fill in the blanks type. Whilst the Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) have negative markings for wrong answers, the numerical fill in the blanks type questions do not have any negative marking scheme
GATE 2018 Reading Material
GATE 2018 Reference Books
|Aerospace Books||Architecture Books||Biotechnology Books|
|MadeEasy Books||Civil Engineering Books||ECE Books|
|EEE Books||CSE Books||Instrumentation Books|
|Life Science Books||Mechanical Books||XE books|
GATE 2018 Model Papers
|Aerospace Model Paper||Architecture Model Paper||Biotechnology Model Paper|
|Civil Model Paper||Chemical Engineering||Chemistry Model Paper|
|CSE Model Paper||ECE Model Paper||Ecology Model Paper|
|Geology Model paper||Instrumentation Paper||XL Model Paper|
|MEC Model Paper||MT Model Paper||MN Model Paper|
|PI Model Paper||TF Model Paper||XE Model Papers|
|MadeEasy Model Paper||Civil Engineering Model||EEE Model Paper|
|Mathematics Model Paper||PY Model Paper||Model Papers|
GATE 2018 Exam Pattern/ Syllabus
|Aerospace Exam Pattern||Architecture Exam Pattern||Biotechnology Exam Pattern|
|Civil Exam Pattern||CSE Exam Pattern||EE Exam Pattern|
|ECE Exam Pattern||Instrumentation Exam Pattern||Life Science Exam Pattern|
|MEC Exam Pattern||XE Exam Pattern||AG Exam Pattern|
|CH Exam Pattern||CY Exam Pattern||GG Exam Pattern|
|MA Exam Pattern||MN Exam Pattern||MT Exam Pattern|
|PH Exam Pattern||PI Exam Pattern||PI Exam Pattern|
|TF Exam Pattern||XL Exam Pattern||Aerospace Syllabus|
GATE previous year question paper (1991-2017)
|AE Question Papers||Architecture Question Paper||BT Question Papers|
|CE Question Papers||CSE Question Paper||EEE Question Paper|
|ECE Question Paper||IN Question Papers||XL Question Papers|
|MEC Question Paper||XE Question Paper||AG Question Papers|
|CH Question Papers||CY Question Papers||GG Question Papers|
|MA Question Papers||MN Question Papers||MT Question Papers|
|PH Question Papers||PI Question Papers||PI Question Paper|
|TF Question Paper||XL Question Papers||Aerospace syllabus|
Pattern of Question Papers
- In all the papers, there will be a total of 65 questions carrying 100 marks, out of which ten questions giving a total of 15 marks will be on General Aptitude (GA).
- In the papers bearing the codes AE, AG, BT, CE, CH, CS, EC, EE, IN, ME, MN, MT, PE, PI, TF and XE, the Engineering Mathematics will carry around 15% of the total marks, the General Aptitude section will carry 15% of the total marks and the remaining 70% of the total marks is devoted to the subject of the paper.
- The papers bearing the codes AR, CY, EY, GG, MA, PH and XL, the General Aptitude section will carry 15% of the total marks and the remaining 85% of the total marks is devoted to the subject of the paper.
GATE 2018 would contain questions of two different types of various papers
- Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ) carrying 1 or 2 marks each in all papers and sections. These questions are objective in nature, and each will have a choice of four answers, out of which the candidate has to mark the correct answer(s).
- Numerical Answer Questions of 1 or 2 marks each in all papers and sections. For these questions the answer is a real number, to be entered by the candidate using the virtual keypad. No choices will be shown for this type of questions
|Section||Question No.||No of Question||Marks per Question||Total Marks|
|Gen. Apptitude||1 to 5||5||1||5|
|Technical||1 to 25||25||1||25|
|Engg Maths||26 to 55||30||2||60|
25 marks to 40 marks will be allotted to Numeric Answer Type Questions
Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
These questions are objective in nature and each question will have a choice of four answers, out of which the candidate has to mark the correct answer. Each question carries 1 or 2 marks questions in all the sections.
Numerical Answer Questions
There will be no choices available for these types of questions. A Numeric Answer question carries 1 or 2 marks questions in all sections. The answer to these questions is a real number to be entered by using the mouse and virtual keypad displayed on the monitor. No negative marking for these questions.