INDIAN INSTITUTE OF SPACE SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY (IIST)
The Institute provides excellent infrastructure and has faculty members with high academic credentials and research experience in India and abroad. The opportunity for close collaboration with the stalwarts in space science and the flexibility of developing one’s research ideas make IIST an ideal environment for motivated undergraduate students. Opportunities exist for students to access cutting-edge technologies and state-of-the-art facilities in a variety of national laboratories.
IIST is a residential institution located at Valiamala, approximately 20 km from Thiruvananthapuram city. It has separate hostel facilities for boys and girls. At present, IIST has about 800 students and 100 faculty members. The mentoring system instituted here ensures that the students will be helped by the faculty members not only in the learning process but also in developing their personality and inner strength. IIST has signed a MoU with USRA (Universities Space Research Association) of USA and California Institute of Technology (Caltech) for an exchange of students and faculty.
IIST 2018 Notification – UG Admission Notice Released
IIST 2018 Admission Notice for UG courses has been released now. The application will be available from 22nd May 2018. Click here to check admission notice.
IIST 2018 Admission Form for Ph.D courses can be filled until 16th December 2017 (January Session).Click here for application form.
Under this scheme, selected students can do their project work/ internship in the USA. The topper of the B.Tech (Aerospace Engineering) from this institute will be sponsored to undergo an intense 9-months M.S. program at Caltech.
- B.Tech. In Aerospace Engineering 60 4 years
- B.Tech. In Avionics 60 4 years
- Dual Degree (B.Tech. and M.S./M.Tech.) 20 5 years
*In the Dual Degree program introduced this year, students receive on successful completion of the 5-year (10 semesters) programme, a B.Tech. Degree in Engineering Physics and an M.S./M.Tech. Degree in one of the following four streams.
- S. in Astronomy and Astrophysics
- S. in Earth System Science
- S. in Solid State Physics
- Tech. in Optical Engineering
IIST Exam Date
Candidates can check here the official dates of IIST Admission 2018 for UG courses & Ph.D courses (January session) has been released now. Check also tentative dates of PG courses:
For UG Courses:
|Admission Brochure Release||2nd May 2018|
|Online registration starts||22nd May 2018|
|Last Date of online registration||5th June 2018|
|Last Date for remitting application fee in Bank||June 2018|
|Rank list release||last week of June 2018|
|Counselling starts||1st week of July 2018|
For PG Courses:
|Online application release||2nd week of April 2018|
|Closing for online submission of applications||1st week of May 2018|
|Last date for payment of application fee||2nd week of May 2018|
|List of short listed students for interview||3rd week of May 2018|
|Interview round||1st week of June 2018|
|Declaration of interview result||4th week of June 2018|
|Counselling starts||1st week of July 2018|
For Ph.D Courses (January Session):
|Application Released||1st December 2017|
|Last date for form submission||16th December 2017|
|Last Date of Payment of application fee||18th December 2017|
|Display of shortlisted candidates for|
|19th December 2017|
|Interview Dates||27th & 28th December 2017|
|Display of Provisionally selected candidates||29th December 2017|
|Classes Starts||8th January 2018|
IIST Application Form 2018
- Candidates can fill and submit the IIST application form via online mode through the website.
- There is no offline application form will be provided.
- The application form will be released from the 22nd May 2018 (for UG courses) and 2nd week of April 2018 (for PG courses).
- Candidates have to fill all the required details like personal, academic, communication, JEE Advanced examination and many other details.
- Upload the scanned images of photograph, signature, medical certificate (PwD candidate) and caste certificate (if applicable).
- Candidates can make the fee payment through bank Challan of SBI or Union Bank of India.
- Upload the scanned image of Challan payment.
- After submitting the application, take the printout of the application form for future references.
- The application fee for UG courses will be Rs. 250/- per departmental code (for general) and Rs. 125/- for SC/ST/PWD and Women.
- The application fee of PG courses will be Rs. 600/- (for Male candidates of GEN/OBC), Rs. 300/- for Female candidates of GEN/OBC, SC, ST & PwD candidates.
- The application fee is non-refundable.
- The fee payment will be made through bank Challan from any branch of SBI or Union Bank of India (UBI).
- NRI candidates can make the fee payment through demand draft.
- The DD should be drawn in favor of “THE REGISTRAR, IIST” payable at Thiruvananthapuram, India.
- In case of payment through DD candidates have to send the DD to the address mentioned below:
Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology
Valiamala (P.O.), Thiruvananthapuram-695547
Here we are providing the eligibility criteria for various courses:
Eligibility for UG Courses (B.Tech):
- Nationality: Candidates should be Indian Nationals.
- Age Limit: General & OBC candidates must have born on or after 1st October 1993 and SC/ST/PwD candidates must have born on or after 1st October 1988.
- Qualification: 12th or equivalent exam passed with 75% aggregate (65% marks for SC/ST & PwD).
- Subjects: Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics are compulsory subjects in 12th standard.
- Examination: Must qualify the JEE Main & JEE Advanced 2018 examinations.
Click here to check complete eligibility (UG Courses).
Eligibility for PG Courses (M.Tech/MS):
- Nationality: Only Indian citizen can apply.
- Age Limit: The age limit is 28 years as on the last date of receipt of application. Age relaxation will be given to SC/ST & PwD candidates.
- Qualification: Students must hold BE/B.Tech/M.Sc/M.S. or equivalent degree securing at least 60%.
- Examination: Must have valid score in GATE/JEST/UGC NET in the relevant area.
There is no option to exit the program with a B.Tech degree. The students will give their preference for the M.S./M.Tech. Specializations at the end of the sixth semester.
The Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology (IIST), a ‘Deemed to be University’ under Section 3 of the UGC Act 1956, established by the Department of Space(DOS), Government of India, offers undergraduate, post-graduate, doctoral and post-doctoral programmes in broad areas of space science, technology and applications. The Institute is committed to excel in teaching, learning, and research. IIST fosters state-of-the-art research and development in space studies and creates a think-tank to explore new directions for the Indian space programme. This year, IIST has secured the eighth position in the all-India ranking (by the Ministry of Human Resources Development) among all the universities in the country.
UNDERGRADUATE PROGRAMMES at IIST
IIST offers the following undergraduate programmes in the academic year 2017-18.
- 4-Year B.Tech Programme Aerospace Engineering 60seats
- 4-Year B.Tech Programme Avionics 60seats
- 5-Year Dual Degree (B.Tech. M.S./M.Tech.) Programme 20seats
Note: The 5-year Dual Degree programme leads to B.Tech. Degree in Engineering Physics and one of the following Post-Graduate degree specializations: M.S. in Solid State Physics M.S. in Astronomy & Astrophysics M.S. in Earth System Science and M.Tech. in Optical Engineering. There is no exit option at the end of four years
The Aerospace Engineering programme in IIST is oriented towards the needs of space technology and has significant overlap with Mechanical Engineering including Mechanical Design, Manufacturing Science and Space Dynamics. B.Tech. Degree in Aerospace Engineering enables the student to specialize in Flight Mechanics, Aerodynamics, Thermal and Propulsion, Structure and Design and Manufacturing Science.
Avionics covers electronics related to aerospace systems. The Department of Avionics, with a well-knit symbiosis of Electrical, Electronics, Communication Engineering and Computer Science, has the vision of producing Engineers/Scientists/Technologists of the highest caliber in Space Electronics. Students opting for Avionics get to learn what is covered in a typical Electronics and Communications programme and also, get exposure to advanced electronics in Digital Communication, Control Systems and Computer Systems. A student with a B. Tech. Degree in Avionics can specialize in areas like Digital Signal Processing (DSP), RF & Microwave Communications, Antenna, Power Electronics, Microelectronics, Control systems, etc.
Dual Degree Programme
As performance-based financial assistance is provided by DOS to the undergraduate students of IIST, ISRO/DOS will have the first right to absorb them, subject to the human resource requirements of ISRO/DOS.
The job absorption will be as per the recruitment norms of ISRO/DOS Centres for IIST graduates. To be eligible for absorption in ISRO/DOS, the student should have completed the B.Tech. Programme in four years or the dual degree programme in five years, with a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 7.5 out of 10. However, the eligible student(s) will be offered absorption in the order of merit, only to the extent of vacancies notified by ISRO Headquarters for the purpose of absorption in the year of completion of the course. Students will not have any claim for absorption in ISRO/DOS against the other vacancies or the vacancies notified for absorption occurring after that in ISRO/DOS establishments during subsequent years. Students who are offered a job in ISRO/DOS are mandated to serve as Scientist/Engineer-‘SC’ in any ISRO/DOS centers for a minimum period of 3 years.
On failing to accept the job offer, a student is liable to pay Rs.10 lakhs to IIST/DOS as per theSurety Bond (on a Rs.100/- Non-Judicial paper duly signed by the student, parent, and surety) to be executed at the time of admission to undergraduate programmes in IIST.
If absorbed, they will be posted as Scientist/Engineer-‘SC’ in any ISRO/DOS Centre.
Currently, Scientist/Engineer-‘SC’ is placed with an initial pay of Rs. 21,000 (in the Pay Band PB-3 of Rs. 15,600-39,100 with a Grade Pay of Rs. 5,400/-) + Dearness Allowance & House Rent Allowance (as applicable). (The above absorption policy is in force for the students who have joined IIST from 2013 onwards) Candidates are advised to read the eligibility criteria carefully and apply online for admission to IIST.
IIST provides Financial Assistance Package funded by Department of Space (DOS), Government of India for students admitted to undergraduate programmes, once in a semester, to meet the expenses of education viz. tuition fee, students amenity fee, hostel charges including dining, establishment charges, and medical cover. An additional book allowance of Rs.3000/- is also provided to each student for every semester.
In the event of a student failing to secure a minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) of 7.5 out of 10-point scale in any semester, the Student will not be paid financial assistance for the following semester.
ELIGIBILITY FOR UNDERGRADUATE ADMISSION
Candidates must make sure that they satisfy ALL the eligibility criteria described below for applying for admission to undergraduate programmes in IIST.
Only Indian citizens are eligible to apply for admission in IIST. The date of birth as recorded in the high school/first Board /or its equivalent will be accepted. If the certificate does not mention the date of birth, a candidate must submit an authenticated document from competent authority indicating the date of birth at the time of Counselling.
(i) The final examination of the 10+2 system, conducted by any recognized Central/State Board, such as Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE), New Delhi; Council for Indian School Certificate Examination (ISCE), New Delhi, etc.
(ii) Intermediate or two-year Pre-University examination conducted by a recognized Board/University.
(iii) The Final Examination of the two-year course of the Joint Services Wing of the National Defence Academy.
(iv) Vocational Higher Secondary Examination.
(v) Senior Secondary School Examination conducted by the National Institute of Open Schooling with a minimum of five subjects.
(vi) Any Public School/Board/University Examination in India or any foreign country recognized as equivalent to the 10+2 system by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU).
(vii) General Certificate Education (GCE) examination (London / Cambridge / Sri Lanka) at the Advanced
(viii) High School Certificate Examination of the Cambridge University or International Baccalaureate Diploma of the International Baccalaureate Office, Geneva.
In case the relevant qualifying examination is not a public examination, the candidate must have passed at least one public (Board or Pre-University) examination at an earlier level.
Date of Birth
Candidates belonging to General category (GEN) and Other Backward Classes (OBC) categories must have been born on or after October 1, 1991. Candidates belonging to Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribes (ST) and Persons with Disabilities (PD) categories must have born on or after October 1, 1986.
Qualifying Examination (10+2 or Equivalent)
Candidates seeking admission to IIST should have passed their Qualifying Examination, with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as subjects of the curriculum.
Candidates belonging to GEN and OBC categories must secure an aggregate of at least 70% marks in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics (PCM) in the qualifying examination and those belonging to SC/ST/PD should have an aggregate of at least 60% marks in PCM subjects in the qualifying examination.
The qualifying examination should be any of the following:
JEE (Main) and JEE (Advanced) – 2017 Examinations
Candidates should appear for the Joint Entrance Examination (Main)-2016 conducted by Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE), New Delhi to qualify themselves to appear for Joint Entrance Examination (Advanced)-2016 conducted by IITs and secure the minimum prescribed category-wise marks in JEE (Advanced)-2016 as given below:
- General Candidates (GEN): At least 20% marks(i.e.,.74 marks out of 372) in aggregate and at least 5% marks (i.e. six marks out of 124) in each of the three subjects (Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics).
- Other Backward Community – NonCreamy Layer OBC (NCL) Candidates: At least 18% marks(i.e. 66 marks out of 372) in aggregate and at least 4.5% marks (i.e. five marks out of 124) in each of the three subjects (Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics).
- SC, ST & PD Candidates: At least 10% marks(i.e.,.37 marks out of 372) in aggregate and at least 2.5% marks(i.e. three marks out of 124) in each of the three subjects (Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics).
The candidates applying for IIST admission are advised to make sure that they have secured the above minimum prescribed subject-wise marks and aggregate marks, when the JEE (Advanced) website displays his/her answer sheets (ORS) and answer keys during June 1-to-5, 2017.
As per the reservation policy of Government of India applicable to Central Educational Institutions (CEI), candidates belonging to certain categories are admitted to seats reserved for them based on relaxed criteria. These categories and the corresponding percentage of reservation are as given below:
(i) Scheduled Castes (SC): 15%
(ii) Scheduled Tribes (ST): 7.5%
(iii) Other Backward Classes (OBC) belonging to Non-Creamy Layer (NCL): 27%
(iv) Persons with Disabilities (PD): 3% (Horizontal Reservation) Benefit of reservation under SC/ST/OBC shall be given only to those castes/tribes which are recognized by the Government of India and are included in the respective central list published by the Department of Personnel and Training.
(i) SC/ST Candidates:
Candidates belonging to SC/ST categories will be required to produce the original Scheduled caste/ tribe certificate issued by a competent authority in the prescribed format (APPENDIX-1). Certificates in any other format will not be accepted. The documents (in original), must be produced at the time of
Counseling, failing which their candidature will not be considered for admission. Seats remaining vacant in SC/ST categories shall be left vacant and shall NOT be filled by candidates belonging to any other category.
(ii) OBC-NCL Candidates:
For the purpose of admission to seats under OBC-NCL category, a candidate will be considered as OBC-NCL only if he/she belongs to a caste mentioned in the Central list of OBCs and satisfies the condition of a non-creamy layer as defined by the Government of India. In case any of the reserved seats in this category are not filled for want of sufficient candidates meeting the qualifying standards set
RESERVATION OF SEATS
The OBC-NCL candidates seeking the benefits of reservation will be required to produce the original caste certificate issued on or after 1 ST June,
Certificates in any other format will not be accepted. The certificate must be produced at the time of Counselling, failing which they will NOT be considered for admission in the OBC-NCL reserved category.
(iii) PD Candidates:
3% seats are reserved for PD candidates. The benefit of reservation would be given only to those who have at least 40% physical impairment and required to produce original certificates issued by a district medical board/competent authority, at the time of counseling.
Candidates who are desirous to join the undergraduate programs in IIST must apply separately for admission to IIST by registering at the online application portal here. IIST Admission Rank list will be generated only for those candidates who have registered online for the admission to IIST and satisfying all the eligibility criteria prescribed in Section 5 of this Information Brochure. Rank list will be based on their position in the All-India Rank list (including category rank) prepared and published by Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE). CBSE prepares All-India rank list giving 60% weightage to the score in JEE (Main) examination and 40% weightage to the normalized score in Class
12th qualifying examination and is expected to be published in the last week of June 2017.
For online registration of the application, the candidate should have access to a computer, a laser printer and Internet connection. They should also have their JEE (Main)-2017 Roll Number, JEE (Advanced)-2016 Roll Number and a valid email id.
Category Registration Fee
- Male candidates in GEN and OBC Rs. 600/- (Six Hundred only)
- Female candidates in GEN and OBC Rs. 300/- (Three Hundred only)
- All SC, ST, PD candidates Rs.300/-(Three Hundred only)
The payment can make in any one of the branches of State Bank of India (SBI) or Union Bank of India (UBI), on the next working day onwards, after the date of successful completion of Online Registration, using the Challan that can be downloaded and printed from our website after the registration. The Registration fee is non-refundable.
Candidates should register their application only through online portal admission.iist.ac.in, download and print the Challan to remit the registration fee as given in the table below:
- Read the eligibility criteria (Section 5) carefully before registering online for Admission.
- Visit the online application portal admission.iist.ac.in, click the link for undergraduate admission-2017 and fill in all the details in the online application form as per the instructions are given there.
- Enter the Bank Transaction Details by logging into the online application portal using your Registration Number and Password.
- Upload the scanned image in PDF/JPEG format of the Institute copy of the Challan countersigned and stamped (seal) by the Bank.
- Any complaints, grievances, etc. related to IIST undergraduate admissions must be first referred to the Chairman, Undergraduate Admissions-2016, IIST. Director, IIST will be the appellate authority on such complaints. The courts having their jurisdiction at Thiruvananthapuram alone can adjudicate on all matters and disputes related to IIST undergraduate admissions.
For NRI Candidates only:
- Upload the scanned image of the Demand Draft
- Write your Name & Registration Number on the back side of the Demand Draft. Send the Demand Draft along with Institute Copy of “NRI Payment form” by POST to Chairman, Undergraduate Admissions-2016, Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology, Valiamala (P.O.), Thiruvananthapuram-695547, Kerala, India.
- Payment can be made at the Bank from the next working day (after the date of registration) 11:00 a.m. onwards.
For NRI Candidates: Candidates residing abroad can remit the Registration fee through Demand Draft (DD) issued by any bank outside India. The Demand Draft for the amount mentioned above should be drawn for “THE REGISTRAR, IIST” payable at THIRUVANANTHAPURAM, INDIA. Candidates are requested to write the Name and Registration Number on the back side of the Demand Draft (DD) and send to The Chairman, Undergraduate Admissions-2016, Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology, Valiamala (P.O.), Thiruvananthapuram-695547 Kerala, India. This is a special facility extended to Indian citizens residing abroad alone. Any Demand Draft issued from a bank within India will NOT BE ACCEPTABLE.
How to register Application online for Admission.
- After completing online registration, Download and Print the Challan ( or NRI Payment Form for NRI candidates) and remit the Registration Fee
- Only candidates who have applied online through the online application portal admission.iist.ac.in for undergraduate admission to IIST and made the payment in the Bank and uploaded the payment details and scanned image of challan (DD for NRI candidates) before the specified dates (given in Table 2) will be considered for admission to IIST. These candidates will be ranked by IIST for all categories.
- The IIST admission rank list and the date/venues for the admission counseling will be published on our web site on 29th June 2017*.
- It is tentatively planned to conduct IIST admission counseling in four cities (Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Kolkata, New Delhi).
- The eligible registered candidates who are desirous of getting admission in IIST have to be physically present during the counseling at any of the centers, with all the original documents/certificates and must be accompanied by one of the parents.
- During the counseling, the candidates will have to give their preference/choice(s) of the branch of study in their order of preference in writing, which CANNOT be changed later.
- During the counseling, ‘confirmed Seat’ will be allotted to the eligible candidates in the order of their JEE (Main) All India Rank-2017. Those who accept a ‘confirmed seat’ offered to them should surrender their original certificates at the counseling center. If the confirmed seat is not his/or first preference/choice, he will also be given a wait-list number(s) for his higher preferred branch(es).
- After filling all the available seats, the remaining candidates who reported at the counseling venue will find their names included in the ‘Wait-List’ in their respective category and choice of branch.
- This Wait-List will be published online in the IIST Admission website, within two days after the counseling.
- The vacancies arising subsequently due to any forfeiture of the allotted confirmed seats will be filled by operating the above Wait-List at regular intervals and notifying the same in the IIST Admission website. More dates/details of this process of wait-list movement will be announced at the time of publication of IIST Admission Rank list on 29th June 2017*.
- During the wait-list movement, if a candidate does not accept (within the specified time interval) any confirmed seat offered to him/her in a branch of his/her any preference/choice made at the time of counseling, he/she will NOT be considered further for admission to any branch/seat.
ISTAdmission Rank list will be generated only for those candidates who register online for admission to IIST and satisfy all the eligibility criteria. IIST Admission Rank list will be prepared based on their JEE -2017 All-India Rank(including category rank). The IIST web portal for online registration will be open from 22nd May, up to 12th June 2017.
The IIST Admission counseling will be conducted during the fourth week of June 2017.
Note: The dates are subject to chain if there is a delay in publication of JEE(Main) All-India Rank list-2017 by CBSE. Any change in the dates mentioned above will be indicated in the IIST Admission website. No separate information of any change of date will be sent to any candidates.