International Affairs UPSC Mains GS 2 Preparation
Preparing for International Affairs UPSC Mains GS 2
If you are looking for something related to International Affairs and Institutions as a part of UPSC Civil Services Mains syllabus under General Studies Paper 2 then one thing you must make up in mind that it is far different from the foreign relations/international relations part.
Questions related to this section is based on issues between USA and Russia or on differences between IMF and World Bank. So candidates who wish to score high in this section should develop a deep interest in the matters of current international importance.
A student of International Affairs should obviously be able to precisely locate the position of any country on the world map.
The platform of present international affairs lies in world history, and aspirants should be thorough with the topics like:
- Industrial Revolution
- World Wars
- Cold War and
- Unipolar World.
Without wasting a word one can straightforwardly take a look at the brief overview about major international institutions is given below.
Foremostly, Candidates are advised to develop more on specific institutions like:
1) The United Nations (UN): it is an international organization that describes itself as a global association of governments facilitating co-operation in international law, international security, economic development, and social equity. It is the most prominent international institution. Many of the legal institutions follow the same organizational structure as the UN.
2) OIC: Organisation of Islamic Cooperation The Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) is an international organization consisting of 57 member states. The organisation attempts to be the collective voice of the Muslim world (Ummah) and attempts to safeguard the interests and ensure the progress and well-being of Muslims.
Some other major international organisations like
3) African Union ASEAN Arab League
4) The CIS European Union
5) G8 G20 League of Nations Organization of American States
Economic institutions to be discussed for better preparation of GS paper UPSC mains are as follow:
- The World Bank headquarters in Washington, D.C.
- Asian Development Bank
- African Development Bank
- Bank of International Settlements
- Inter-American Development Bank
- International Monetary Fund
- Islamic Development Bank
- World Bank
- The world Trade Organization
- International legal bodies
- European Court of Human Rights
- Human Rights Committee
- Inter-American Court of Human Rights
- International Criminal Court
- International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda
- International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia
- United Nations Human Rights Council
- Legal African Court of Justice
- European Court of Justice
- International Court of Justice
- International Tribunal for the Law
If aspirants gain a good command over these, there is going to be no loss in the score.Excellence will be the result.
Important Books for General Studies Paper 2 (Click on books to buy):
- IAS Mains General Studies Paper 2 GOVERNANCE CONSTITUTION, POLITY SOCIAL JUSTICE & INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS (Reference Manual GS-2)
- Governance for Growth in India (Governance GS-2)
- Pax Indica: India and the World of the 21st Century (Foreign Policy GS-2)
- India and the World: Through the Eyes of Indian Diplomats (Foreign Policy GS-2)