JEST referred to Joint Entrance Screening Test and it is recognized as a National Eligibility Test (NET) by the Science & Engineering Research Board (SERB). Joint Entrance Screening Test (JEST) is conducted by several premier research institutes for admission to the field of Ph.D. and Integrated Ph.D. programme in its different participating institutions.
JEST exams are held for the two subjects they are first (a) namely, physics and (b) theoretical computer science/neuroscience/Computational Biology. Many college and institution of Government & private except the score of JEST entrance exams. Every year’s candidate tries to take admission but candidates who score good marks in entrance exams are only granted admission on the basis of their marks.
Candidates will find here, detail of JEST entrance exams Eligibility Criteria, Application Form, Exams Dates Exams Pattern Result and Syllabus Etc.
JEST 2018 Notification – Application Released
JEST 2018 Application Form – Released Now
JEST 2018 Application Form has been released on 17th November 2017. The last date to submit the application is 16th December 2017. Click here to fill the application.
JEST Exam Date 2018
Candidates should know JEST exams related detail such as Commencement of online application form, Last date for the submission of application form, Declaration of Results, and Hosting of admit card etc. Check all changes and updates to JEST entrance exams.
The Dates (tentative) exam schedule of JEST 2018 is given in the below table:
JEST Exam Date 2018
The official exam schedule of JEST 2018 is given in the below table:
|Commencement of online application form||17th November 2017|
|Last date for the submission of application form||16th December 2017|
|Hosting of admit card||25th January 2018|
|Date of examination||18th February 2018|
|Declaration of Results||March 2018|
JEST 2018 Application Form
Candidates can fill the application form through the online mode. Candidates have to fill it in official portal of JEST. online Application form for JEST will be available from the 3rd week of November and the Last date for the submission of application form is 4th week of December.
Candidates must fill and submit an application before the due date. If candidates didn’t application will be canceled. At the time of filing applications read all detail and after that upload the scanned photograph and signature in jpg format. When the candidates get to register their name they will receive an intimation email from JEST website regarding successful submission of application.
- For the convenience of the candidates, online filing of application for JEST 2018 will be facilitated by the authority.
- JEST application form 2018will be started from 17th November 2017.
- Prior to applying for JEST 2018, candidates must have a valid email-id.
- At the time of filling the application form, the candidate also has to upload the scanned photograph and signature in jpg format.
- The application procedure would be completed after submission of application form and successful e-payment of application fee.
- After submitting the application form, candidates will receive an intimation email from JEST website regarding successful submission of application.
JEST Application Fee
Candidates can pay application form fees through online as well as by offline mode. By online medium using Debit/Credit cards and Net-banking candidates can pay application form fees. Candidates have to pay application fees as per candidate’s category wise.
Category of SC/ST applicants only can pay Rs 150/- and other all category candidates have to pay Rs. 300 /- for application form fees. Once fees it is paid by candidates it will not be refunded back. Candidates are advised to keep print copies of filled application form for further use and needs.
JEST Eligibility Criteria
A different course has different eligibilt6y criteria. So, candidates are requested to look at full eligibility criteria for JEST entrance exams. Candidates must know about criteria Like Nationality, Qualification criteria, age criteria and minimum marks etc. Candidate must check before applying whether they are eligible to apply or not. Below is given schedule table with courses and their criteria are given for better understanding.
For ex. Candidates can apply for Ph.D. Programme Physics who have M.Sc. in Physics is the prescribed qualification to apply for this course. However, some institutions also accept B.E. / B.Tech. / M.Sc. / M.E. / M.Tech. in disciplines of Applied Physics and Mathematics, and for Ph.D. in Neuroscience at NBRC courses candidates of M.Sc (Physics/Mathematics), B.E/ B.Tech/ M.C.A in Computer Science are eligible to apply. For detail take a look at given table below.
Here, we are providing the eligibility criteria for JEST 2018. However, candidates are suggested to also visit the websites of the participating institutes of their interest to know more about the qualification requirement.
|Ph.D Programme Physics||· M.Sc. in Physics is the prescribed qualification to apply for this course. However, some institutions also accept B.E. / B.Tech. / M.Sc. / M.E. / M.Tech. in disciplines of Applied Physics and Mathematics.|
|Ph.D in Theoretical Computer Science at IMSc||· M.Sc./ M.E./ M.Tech. in Computer Science and related disciplines.|
|Ph.D. in Neuroscience at NBRC||· M.Sc (Physics/Mathematics), B.E/ B.Tech/ M.C.An in Computer Science|
|Ph.D. in Computational Biology at IMSc||· M.Sc./ M.E./M.Tech./MCA in any engineering or science discipline, with good mathematical skills and the strong interest in biological problems.|
|Integrated M.Sc./ M.Tech – Ph.D. Programme (Physics)||· B. Sc. (Physics / Mathematics).|
· At NISER, B.Sc (Physics) or B.E./B. Tech in Engineering Physics, with a minimum of first class marks, will be the minimum qualification.
· For admission to IIA, the qualification required is B.Sc. (Physics/Mathematics)/B.E./B.Tech. in Electrical/Instrumentation/Engineering Physics/Electronics and Communications/ Computer Science and Engineering/Optics and Photonics will be considered.
· B.Sc. (Physics) will be considered at IISER-Pune, ICTS-TIFR, NCRA-TIFR, and TIFR-TCIS.
|Integrated Ph.D. Programme in Theoretical Computer Science at IMSc||· B.Sc./B.E./B.Tech./M.C.A. in Computer Science or related disciplines|
|Integrated M.Tech – Ph.D. Programme at IIA||· M.Sc. (Physics/Applied Physics)/Post-B.Sc. (Hons) in Optics and Optoelectronics/Radio Physics and Electronics.|
|Integrated Ph.D. Programme at IISER IISER. Thiruvananthapuram.||· B. Sc. (Physics) or B.E./B. Tech. in any discipline.|
JEST Exam Pattern 2018
Candidates have to attain exams on offline mode( Pen & paper based mode) complete your paper in 3 hours no extra time will be served to any candidates in an examination as per the board’s rules and regulation. Question paper of Physics is divided into two part, Part A and Part B. In both the papers 25 question will be asked with the total of 50 questions.
Theoretical Computer Science will have total 7 questions. Which will have questions of both types – some requiring short answers and some involving detailed problem-solving. Physics question paper will be most asked from on objective type questions.3 marks will be given for correct answer in Physics and part B will contain question of 1 marks.
The details about the JEST 2018 exam pattern is given below:
- Courses Offered: JEST is held for entrance to the Ph.D. and Integrated Ph.D. programme in Physics and Theoretical Computer Science.
- Exam Mode: The test will be conducted in OMR answer sheet (offline exam).
- Number of Questions: The question paper of Physics will have two parts i.e. Part A and Part B. There will be 25 questions in each part with a total of 50 questions. Theoretical Computer Science will have total 7 questions.
- Type of Questions: The question paper of Theoretical Computer Science have questions of both types – some requiring short answers and some involving detailed problem-solving. Physics question paper will be based on objective type questions.
- Exam Duration: The test will be 3 hours.
- Marking Scheme: The Part-A of Physics question paper will contain questions of 3 marks each while Part-B will contain questions of 1 mark.
Click here to view JEST TCS Sample Paper
Click here to view JEST Physics Sample Paper
JEST Admit Card 2018
Admit cards/Hall ticket will be published by authority on the 4th week of Jan. Candidates can check they admit cards on official portal through online mode. Candidates who have successfully submitted their application can only download their hall ticket from official portal. Candidates have to bring their hall ticket with Identity proof if candidates fail to bring candidates will not be allowed to write the paper in the examination hall.
Candidates should keep print copies of hall ticket for futures needs. Candidates have to keep hall ticket safe until the completion of exams. Admit cards/hall ticket is the mandatory document which contains detail of candidates such as name, address, events, time duration, seat number etc. The tentative schedules of hosting of admit card will be the last week of January 2018. Candidates need to download the Admit Card from the website only.
Below is given detail of admit cards and how to download the admit cards with step wise:
Details on Admit Card
- Candidate Name
- Date of Birth
- Father Name
- Roll Number
- Exam Name, Date and Time
- Address of the test center allotted
How to Download the Admit Card
Candidates can follow the given simple steps to download admit card/hall ticket:
- Visit the official link
- Log in by entering your Email ID, DOB & Roll No. or your Application Number & Verification Code.
- Click on ‘Submit’ button.
- Now, admit card displays on the screen.
- Download and take the printouts of admit card for further references
JEST 2018 Answer Key
Authority will publish answer key after the exams are over.Candidates appear the examination can check the JEST 2018 answer key through online mode. The answer key will be released after few days of the exam and prior to result in official portal. The authority will declare the answer key for all sets.
Those candidates who are looking for correct in detail answer with the question can download the answer key of JEST. Appearing candidate of entrance exams can check their performance and answer written by them. Through this, they can estimate their score of entrance exams. Answer key will help candidates to prepare for further steps.
Procedures to Download JEST 2018 Answer keys
- Enter the official website of JEST jest.org.in
- On the home page, click the answer keys notification.
- Fill the required details on the login page.
- After login page, your answer keys displayed on the screen.
JEST Result 2018
After the few days of the examination, a result will be release in the official portal by authority. Through online mode, the candidate can check their result. Results will be released in the month of March. No personally result of JEST will be sent to any candidates by via post, email etc. The scorecard of JEST will be released after the result declaration. The validity of scorecard is for one year only.
Candidates who are trying to download their result can follow the given steps. Candidates have to type all correct detail in web portal to access right page. Candidates can save4 page in laptop/computer or can take a screenshot if they want. Candidates are advised to keep copies of it further admission process.
Cut-off marks are changes by authority once it I change no other person can make further changes in it. Different courses have a different cut-off mark which is changed every year. It changes as per the many factors such as the number of applicants, number of seats, a difficulty level of the exam and marking scheme etc. Deserving candidates will get admission on the basis of marks secured by them in entrance exams.
Cut-off marks will helps candidates to score above the cutoff, to qualify to apply. Candidates who are eligible as per cut off given can attain for the counseling session of JEST. Candidate will get help with the cut-off marks to select his/her favorite college according to marks secured in entrance exams.
The cutoff scores will be prepared based on following factors. The factors are
- The cutoff marks provided in section wise
- The number of candidates qualified for the exam
- The total number of candidates attend the exam
- Difficulty level of question paper in the examination
Candidates total scores decreasing under the JEST cutoff marks permitted for the admission in the applied programs.
JEST 2018 Syllabus
Candidates are provided exams dates, exams pattern, and syllabus of JEST entrance exams so, they can prepare and score according to their expectations. Get familiar with all detail so you wouldn’t get confused late. Joint Entrance Screening Test Question will be asked in entrance exams of graduation or post-graduation level.
In exams question topics will become from the given syllabus subjects such as Theoretical Computer Science focuses on Analytical Reasoning and Deduction, Combinatorics, Data Structures and Algorithms, Discrete Mathematics, Graph Theory, Principles of Programming. And the questions of Physics will appear from topics such as Mathematical Methods, Classical Mechanics, Electromagnetism and Optics, Quantum Mechanics, Thermodynamics & Statistical Physics and Electronics.
Vector algebra and vector calculus, tensors, curvilinear coordinate systems, linear algebra; Linear differential equations, elements of Sturm–Liouville theory; Special functions; Complex analysis; Fourier series and Fourier transform, Laplace transforms; Elementary properties of discrete groups; Elements of probability theory, error analysis.
Newton’s laws, conservation of energy and momentum, collisions; generalized coordinates, the principle of least action, Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formulations of mechanics; symmetry and conservation laws; central force problem, Kepler problem; small oscillations and normal modes; special relativity in classical mechanics.
Electromagnetism & optics
Electrostatics and magnetostatics, boundary value problems, multipole expansion; fields in conducting, dielectric, diamagnetic and paramagnetic media; Faraday’s law and time-varying fields; displacement current; Maxwell’s equations; energy and momentum of electromagnetic fields; propagation of plane electromagnetic waves, reflection, refraction; electromagnetic waves in dispersive and conducting media; diffraction, interference, polarization.
Uncertainty principle; Schrodinger equation; central potentials, hydrogen atom; orbital and spin angular momenta, addition of angular momenta; matrix formulation of quantum theory, unitary transformations, Hermitian operators; variational principle, time independent perturbation theory, time dependent perturbation theory.
Thermodynamics & statistical physics
Laws of thermodynamics, work, and heat, thermodynamic potentials; Elements of kinetic theory; Maxwell’s relations; statistical ensembles; partition function; classical ideal gas, harmonic oscillators; classical and quantum statistics; Fermi and Bose gases; black body radiation; statistics of paramagnetism
Basics of the semiconductor; p-n junctions, diodes, transistors; LCR circuits, rectifiers, amplifiers, active filters, and oscillators; basics of OPAMPs and their applications; basics of digital electronics.
- Before starting preparation, you should analyze the syllabus prescribed for the examination.
- Prepare a good time-table as per your daily schedule and include all the topics of a syllabus in your preparations.
- Refer the best preparation books and other study materials available in the market or on the internet.
- Practice from previous year question papers and sample papers to know more about the exam pattern.
- Mark all the important topics of the syllabus and prepare short notes and revise them at the end of preparations.
- Don’t take stress while preparing for the exam and take the healthy & nutritious diet.
- Manage your time for some exercise and yoga it will keep you fit and healthy.