Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER)
Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER), Puducherry under Government of India since the year 1956, is one of the leading Medical Institutions of India. Spread over a sprawling 195 acre campus in an urban locale of Puducherry (formerly Pondicherry) JIPMER is 170kms by road from Chennai.
JIPMER was declared as an Institution of National Importance by a Parliamentary Act, i.e. JIPMER, Puducherry, Act, 2008. A copy of the Act was Gazette notified on 14-7-2008 to enforce this Act. Prior to this the Institute was functioning under the administrative control of Directorate General of Health Service, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, New Delhi.
The Institution is now empowered to award Medical Degrees, Diplomas, etc., under the clauses 23 & 24 of the said Act. Such Degrees / Diploma, etc., shall be deemed to be included in the schedules to the respective Acts governing Medical Council of India, Indian Nursing Council and Dental Council of India, entitling the holders to the same privileges as those attached to the equivalent awards from the recognized Universities of India
Admission to all Professional Courses at JIPMER is through an Entrance Examination conducted by JIPMER at various centers in India. In addition certain categories of students are admitted through nominations by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India.
JIPMER imparts Undergraduate (UG), Postgraduate (PG) and Super Specialty Medical Training through a working hospital (JIPMER Hospital) with bed strength of 2559 and a Nursing College. M.B.B.S., B.Sc., M.Sc., M.D., M.S, Degree Courses are offered in 37 various disciplines. JIPMER also offers DM/M.Ch courses in Cardiology, Neurology, Cardiothoracic Surgery, Neurosurgery, Urology, Plastic Surgery, Pediatric Surgery, Pediatric Critical Care, Neonatology, Clinical Immunology, Clinical Pharmacology, Clinical Hematology, Nephrology, Medical Oncology, Endocrinology, Surgical Oncology and Surgical Gastroenterology. Full-time Ph.D. Programs are available in eight disciplines as on date.
JIPMER ensures that teaching methods employed, facilities and content of the programs are in line with the latest innovations with a strong science base. JIPMER promotes teaching and training through small seminars, didactic lectures, and wide range of clinical and laboratory experiences, independent thinking and relevant research. JIPMER Hospital provides free medical care accessible to the poorer sections of society.
(a) Nationality :
i) Indian Nationals (IN)
Applicant must be an Indian National.
ii) For Overseas Citizen of India (OCI)
OCI registered under Section 7A of Citizenship Act 1955 are also eligible to appear in this test and all terms and conditions applicable for Indian Nationals given in this Prospectus will be applicable to them. The candidate should submit proof of Registration as OCI under Section 7A of Citizenship Act 1955 at the time of counseling.
iii) Foreign Nationals (FN)
Foreign candidates are required to route their application through the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India, New Delhi. All foreign nationals will have to take prior permission from the Medical Council of India before applying for postgraduate Courses in the Institute. An advance copy of the application and copy of request to MCI must be submitted at JIPMER, Puducherry before the last date of receipt of applications. In the events of selection, the candidate has to apply for temporary registration with the medical council of India for the duration of postgraduate study.
(b) Educational Qualification:
The candidates must possess MBBS or an equivalent Degree recognized by the Medical Council of India.
A candidate must have completed the required period of 12 months compulsory rotating internship / Practical training on or before 31st December 2016 [*Candidates not completing the internship on or before 31-12-2016 need not apply for January 2017 session. No condonation of Compulsory Rotating Internship beyond this date shall be accepted].
(d) Application Status
Candidates who have already done / completed MD/MS in any subject in any Institution are not eligible for admission to MD/MS course at JIPMER.
Other Backward Classes (OBC)
- Applies to candidates whose sub-caste is notified in the Central List of OBC. OBC candidates claiming reservation of seat should not belong to Creamy Layer. OBC Certificate must be in the format as mentioned in the Appendix.
- OBC candidates claiming reservation of seat should not belong to Creamy Layer. The last three year’s Income Tax Returns of their parents ending 31.03.2016 as proof of Non-Creamy Layer status should be produced at the time of counseling along with the original OBC Certificate to verify the claim of a seat under this category by the Applicant.
- Income certificate from competent Revenue Authority can be produced in case the parents are not filing any income tax.
- Wherever the parents are employed in Government / Public Sector Enterprises, a recent certificate from their employer indicating their Designation and Class / Group has also to be submitted for their claim of seat under OBC category.
Scheduled Caste / Tribe (SC / ST)
- The seats for M.D. / M.S. course are reserved for the candidates belonging to Scheduled Castes (SC) / Scheduled Tribes (ST) as per Government Instructions, provided candidates fulfill the minimum admission requirements prescribed by the Institute for the purpose.
- The candidate belonging to Scheduled Castes / Tribes are required to furnish certificate from the District Magistrate / Additional District Magistrate / Collector / First Class Stipendiary Magistrate / Sub Divisional Magistrate, Taluka Magistrate / Executive Magistrate / Extra Assistant Chief Presidency Magistrate / Presidency Magistrate, Revenue Officer not below the rank of Tahsildar, Sub-Divisional Officer of the area where the candidate and / or his family normally resides, Administrator / Secretary to Administrator/ Development Officer (Lakshadweep islands) in support of their claims .
- If the certificates are not in English, an English translation of their caste certificate duly attested by a Gazetted Officer should also be produced.
OPH – Orthopedic Physically Challenged
- The term is applicable to persons with locomotory disability confined only to lower limbs between 50% to 70% who would be allowed the benefit of reservation under the Disability Act for admission in the medicine courses.
- 3% reservations for orthopedic physically challenged shall be provided on horizontal basis, in the seats available as per their rank in the merit.
- If requisite numbers of qualified candidates are not available to fill up the seats reserved for the category OPH / OBC / SC / ST, the same shall be filled from out of the candidates belonging to the UR.
Other Criteria for Orthopedic Physically Challenged
- The candidate must possess a valid document certifying his / her physical disability conforming to judgment of Supreme Court of India directive i. Reservation in admission to PG medical course in the first instance is provided to candidates with disability of lower limbs between 50% and 70% and in case eligible candidates are not available, then the candidates with disability of lower limbs between 40% and 50% will be considered for admission.
- Candidates’ certified less than 40% disabilities are NOT eligible for the benefit of reservation under OPH category.
- The disability certificate should be produced by a duly constituted and authorized Medical Board of the State or Central Govt. Hospitals / Institutions.
- He/she should also appear before a Medical Board of JIPMER and obtain a valid Disability Certificate prior to admission.
- The suitability of the candidate against his / her disability (Locomotor / Visual / Auditory) will be assessed against the patient safety norms for due certification by the Medical Board.
- The decision of the JIPMER Medical Board is final in this regard.
REQUIREMENTS FOR ADMISSION OF FOREIGN NATIONALS
- Foreign nationals are required to fill in the prescribed online application form ONLY ONE discipline of their choice for admission to Postgraduate courses leading to award of MD/MS degree.
- The foreign nationals are required to send their Registration Slip of on line application through Diplomatic Channel. They are also required to appear in the Competitive Entrance Examination along with other candidates. An “Advance Copy‟ to be submitted at JIPMER before the last date of online registration. However the application of all such candidates will be processed only after receipt of the same through Diplomatic Channel.
- The foreign nationals will be considered against the seats advertised under the “Sponsored” category only for MD/MS courses. They should be registered with MCI before they will be allowed to join the said course, if they are selected for the same through the entrance examination.
- Nominations/No objection for the candidate should reach the Office of the Dean (Academic), JIPMER, Puducherry – 605 006 before the date of issue of the Hall ticket as specified under “IMPORTANT DATES”. In case of non-receipt of the nominations/clearance/no objection from the concerned Ministry by due date, their candidature will not be considered.
- No emoluments will be paid by JIPMER to the Foreign National candidates
- Candidates seeking admission to entrance examination is required to apply online.
- Log on to link in the Home page www.jipmer.edu.in. and navigate to the link “Apply Online to MD/MS Courses – January 2017 Session”.
- Read the prospectus and instruction carefully before filling up the Application.
- The candidate should acquaint himself/herself with all requirements with regard to filling up the application on-line.
- Mode of payments are a) Net Banking, b) Credit Card, c) Debit Card
ENTRANCE EXAMINATION CITIES
The Applicant can opt only for three Exam Cities.
- The allotment of Exam City would be as per the order of preference given by the applicant in the application.
- Normally the first preference would be allotted. JIPMER, depending upon local conditions, reserves the right to allot any other Exam City other than the preferences given by the applicant
- New Delhi
METHOD OF EXAMINATION
On-Line Based Distributed Object System of Examination. The Entrance Examination is common to all and consists of 250 MCQs and will cover all subjects. The Entrance Examination will be of the standard of MBBS Examination. Question paper consists of a total of 250 Questions distributed in:
- Basic Clinical Sciences – 100 Questions (Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Pathology, Pharmacology, Microbiology and Forensic Medicine & Toxicology).
- Clinical Sciences- 150 Questions (Medicine, Surgery, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Community Medicine, Pediatrics, Ophthalmology, Orthopedics, ENT, Anesthesiology, Dermatology, Psychiatry, Radio-diagnosis, Radio-therapy, Emergency Medicine, Nuclear Medicine, Blood Transfusion Medicine and Pulmonary Medicine).
- There shall be ONLY ONE PAPER of three hours duration consisting of 250 Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ).
- All questions will be of one best / correct response type having four alternatives.
- Each answer with correct response shall be awarded Four Marks.
- ZERO mark will be given for the questions not answered.
- Negative marks will be given for incorrect response. For every incorrect response, ONE mark will be deducted.
- The response of the candidate for a question(s), on click of “submit button” before closing of Examination shall be considered as the response chosen by the candidate or in other words “If a question is answered and marked for review, your answer for that question will be considered in the evaluation
VALIDITY OF MERIT LIST & RANK
The validity of Merit list shall be only for the current academic session i.e. January 2017 session admission for MD/MS courses and cannot be carried forward for the next year/session.
Downloadable rank letter will be hoisted on website 3 days after publication of merit list. No individual communication regarding merit / ranking / counseling call letter shall be sent to any candidate. This downloaded rank letter should be retained safely till the completion of Admission Process.
BONA-FIDE CERTIFICATE FOR COUNSELING
Candidates who come for counseling with a certificate that “their original certificates are deposited with the Institute / College / University” will be allowed to participate in counseling under the following conditions:
- A Letter / Document in Original signed by the Principal / Dean mentioning the exact date of admission and list of the original certificates retained in that College / Institution.The fee receipt for the admission issued by the college in Original
- Attested photocopies of all Certificates retained in that college are to be submitted.
- A Bona-fide Certificate Deposit (BCD) for INR 25,000/- (INR TWENTY FIVE THOUSAND ONLY) as DD drawn in favour of Accounts Officer JIPMER, has to be submitted along with the bona-fide certificate.
- Any such candidate attending the counseling with only bona-fide certificate, taking up a seat available at his / her rank in the counseling, has to submit the original certificate within one week from the date of counseling, failing which they will forfeit the Bonafide certificate Deposit of 25,000/- (INR TWENTY FIVE THOUSAND ONLY) and their claim for the seat offered in the counseling stands cancelled automatically.
- Upon any such candidate who does not join the course after taking the initial allotment and forfeits his/her claim for the allotted seat in writing, his / her BCD will not be returned.
- Upon such candidates who have attended the counseling with bona-fide certificate and subsequently have submitted the originals in time and admitted to the course, their BCD will be returned to him/her only at the end of the course.
- In case of candidates whose original certificates are retained by any Central/State Govt. authority as a part of any bond fulfillment, a Bona-fide Certificate Deposit of INR 25,000 (INR TWENTY FIVE THOUSAND ONLY) has to be submitted for counseling/admission purposes.
- In case of such candidates who leave the course midway, their BCD will not be returned and they will also have to pay the penalty and one month salary in lieu of notice period as per the terms and conditions of residency scheme contract.
ELIGIBILITY FOR SUBSEQUENT COUNSELING
- A candidate who is absent at the time of first counseling will forfeit his / her chance for admission and will not be eligible for second counseling.
- Second counseling will be held, if seats are vacant, as per date given in the prospectus. The dates and eligible candidates shall be notified in JIPMER website and no personal intimation will be sent.
- A candidate who is present for the first counseling but does not opt / exercise option at his / her category rank will be eligible to attend second counseling.
- Any seat remaining vacant after the second counseling due to candidate’s resigning (or) not opting for the discipline, will be available for the final open selection counseling to be held in the last week of January 2017. All candidates who are eligible for inclusion in the merit list can attend this final counseling irrespective of their previous attendance
SWITCHING OVER FROM ONE DISCIPLINE TO ANOTHER
- Candidates opting for a particular discipline and getting admitted at JIPMER after the First counseling are eligible to be registered for the subsequent counseling(s) on production of Demand Draft for an amount of INR.25,000/- (INR TWENTY FIVE THOUSAND ONLY) drawn in favour of Accounts Officer, JIPMER payable at SBI, JIPMER Branch, Pondicherry .
- In case the candidate changes that discipline at his/her roster point during the counseling, he/she should submit the resignation from the previous discipline immediately; then only he/she will be allotted another seat of choice available at that Roster Point allocation in the same counseling without break to his/her residency agreement.
- However such candidates are required to pay Academic Fee, Admission Fee and Learning Resource Fee for the new discipline chosen.
- Resignation from candidates who switched over in second or third counseling would entail mid-stream departure penalty for each switch over. This would be in addition to penalty for terminating Residency contract agreement entered upon admission by the candidate.
PROCESS OF COUNSELING
- Production of Hall Ticket (Original) downloaded by the candidate for Entrance Examination along with Biometric authentication on the day of counseling is mandatory for being permitted to the counseling hall.
- Provisional certificate of MBBS Degree is permissible for those candidates who had passed the MBBS course in the year 2016 only.
- No TA / DA will be paid to any category of candidate called for counseling. All candidates should attend counseling at their own expense. They should make their own arrangements for stay at Puducherry.
- The selection for the seats under various categories will be held on 21st December 2016 by Roster system. Roster point order for selection for the same is displayed in Appendix I.
- Option once exercised is final and the course fee of INR 14,310/- (Fourteen Thousand Three Hundred and Ten Only) has to be paid at the time of leaving the counseling hall and Receipt taken. This receipt should be produced at the time of collecting the admission order. If candidate is withdrawing his/her option before issue of the admission order, sum paid will not be refunded, unless he/she is found medically disqualified.
- The candidate has to attend in person for counseling. No proxy / representative is permitted under any circumstances into the counseling hall. 7. Dates for subsequent counseling for any seat(s) falling vacant will be intimated in JIPMER website. No individual communication will be sent
ISSUE OF ADMISSION ORDER FOR JOINING
The candidates who have opted for a seat and selected through the counseling, shall undergo medical examination and biometric (Finger-print / signature) verification. After due verification of the documents, clearance of biometric parameters, medical fitness certified by competent authority nominated by the Institute, the admission letter will be issued. The academic session will commence from 2nd January 2017.
CERTIFICATES FOR SUBMISSION
Original certificates submitted, if found defective the eligibility for admission will be cancelled. If the certificates are not in English, attested English translation should be submitted. At the time of counseling and joining the course, the candidates are required to submit only the ORIGINAL CERTIFICATES as indicated below:
- Original Hall Ticket with seal of the Invigilator
- Rank letter
- Proof of Registration as OCI (in case of Overseas Citizen of India (OCI)).
- Certificate showing the date of birth.
- Residence certificate issued by Revenue Authority not below the rank of Tahsildar or AADHAR card or Voter ID or Passport copy.
- Internship Completion Certificate.
- Conduct Certificate obtained from the Institute last attended.
- Transfer Certificate obtained from the Institute last studied
- Migration Certificate obtained from the University last attended.
- MBBS degree or Provisional Pass certificate (Permitted only for those candidates who passed MBBS in 2016).
- Permanent/Provisional Medical Registration Certificate. (Permanent Medical Registration Certificate should be produced at the time of joining the course).
- Service candidate should produce NOC / Relieving Order and a certificate granting study leave with or without pay as the case may be. (Appendix-IV)
- Undertaking by the Candidate regarding his/her caste. (format issued at the time of admission)
- Other Backward Classes (OBC) candidates should produce the required certificate as per the format in the Appendix III along with last three years Income Tax returns of the parents and designation, class group status of their Service if parent’s are employed in Govt. / Public / Sector / Banks / Corporations duly certified by their Head of Office .
- Scheduled Caste / Scheduled Tribe certificate recently obtained from the competent authority – a Revenue Officer, not below the rank of Tahsildar as per the model form in the Appendix of the Prospectus.
- Medical Certificate in case of Orthopedic Physically Challenged candidates.
- Certificate from the Institute last studied, stating that the degree obtained by him / her from that Institute is recognized by Medical Council of India.
- Passport size colour photo – 4 Nos. * The detection of any discrepancy in the caste certificate shall entail cancellation of registration even after admission to the course. This is as per the provisions made by Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions vide their order No.36033/4/97-Estt. (RES) dated: 25-7-2003 and No.36011/3/2005-Estt. (RES) dated: 09-9-2005 respectively. The name, designation and the seal of the officer should be legible in the certificate. Certificate from any other person / authority will not be accepted and no further correspondence in this regard shall be entertained.
Duties and responsibilities of the Postgraduate students will be as fixed by Government from time to time under the residency scheme for which contract has to be executed at the time of admission. Renewal of this contract annually is subject to satisfactory performance report from concerned head of the department. In case of any adverse report, institute has right to terminate the residency contract with immediate effect. They will be required to perform such work as may be needed in the legitimate interest of patient care in the hospital / laboratory work / teaching schedule.
The Service of the Resident may be terminated without any prior notice by the Director:
- If he / she is satisfied on medical evidence that the resident is unfit and is likely to remain so for a considerable period for reasons of ill health and unable to discharge his / her duties. The decision of the Director whether the Resident is unfit and is likely to continue to remain unfit shall be conclusive and binding on him / her.
- If the Resident is found to behave in an unruly manner singly or in a group or cause damage to institutes property, bring discredit to the name of institution in any manner or guilty of any insubordination, interference or other misconduct or any breach or non-performance of any of the provisions of the agreement signed by him / her at the time of admission or of any rules pertaining to the Institute.
- If any resident is absent continuously for more than 30 days without any intimation to the office, the residency contract stands automatically cancelled and no course completion certificate will be issued and necessary penalty will be levied.
- If the certificates submitted by him / her at the time of joining the course are found to be not genuine by Competent Authority at any time during or after the course his / her Degree is liable to be cancelled by the Director.
ATTENDANCE / LEAVE
The Postgraduate students are eligible for leave as follows: –
First Year Junior Resident : 30 days in a completed academic year Second and Third Year Junior Resident : 36 days in a completed academic year .
The leave that is not availed during a year cannot be carried over to the subsequent year. Junior Residents are not entitled to any other leave except that mentioned above. Residents who do not put in 80% attendance in each academic year will not be eligible to write the examination at the scheduled time. If he/she has availed leave of any kind (sanctioned or otherwise) and lacks attendance of 80%, he / she will be allowed to write the exam after putting in extra period of Residency Service. No emoluments shall be paid during the extension period.
Every candidate who joins MD/MS course is required to submit a plan of thesis within three months of his/her joining the course. He/she is required to submit the final thesis after completion of 2 ½ years of his/her joining the course, and will be eligible to take the final MD/MS examination only after approval of thesis and proof of submitting for PubMed indexed journal for credit point calculation and hall ticket release. Any candidate who fails to submit his/her plan of thesis within three months with grace period of 10 days with penalty of INR 10,000 (Ten thousand Only) or fails to submit the completed thesis duly certified by the Guide (s) within the stipulated time including grace period of 30 days with penalty of INR 10,000 (Ten Thousand Only) will not be allowed to take part in the final examination, and his/her session will be shifted by six months.
MD/MS Junior Residents shall be entitled to a subsidy of INR 5000/- (INR Five Thousand only) in lump sum to meet expenditure on writing the thesis. Along with the application seeking such assistance, the residents shall submit a certificate from the Dean that the concerned resident has submitted the thesis.
Junior Residents will be provided with partly furnished free single accommodation and other facilities as and when provided by the Government as per rules. They will have to abide by the rules and regulations governing hostels.
- Institute is not responsible for any unforeseen events preventing the candidate from reaching the Examination Hall / Counseling and the candidate will be considered absent under such circumstances.
- The disputes if any with regard to conduct of examination, counseling and admission process after the Entrance Examination, etc. will be subject to the legal Jurisdiction of the Union Territory of Puducherry.
- Any attempt on the part of the candidate to influence directly or indirectly by any means will be treated as disqualification.
- The selected candidates will have to undergo medical examination and the admission will be subject to medical fitness. An Immunization Certificate for Hepatitis B vaccine indicating the dates of receipt has to be submitted at the time of medical examination.
- No individual intimation will be sent to candidates who are not selected and no correspondence on this subject will be entertained.
- The decision of the Director shall be final in all matters relating to the selection for admission.
- All students admitted in the Institute shall maintain good conduct, pay the requisite tuition fees and other charges by due date, with regular attendance and abide by the rules and regulations of the Institute and Hostels, failing which they will not be permitted to continue the course. Ragging junior students will be viewed seriously and will be dealt with as per Rules.
- The period of training is strictly full time and continuous. Private practice in any form during the course is prohibited.
- The rules are subject to change in accordance with the decision of the Institute taken from time to time.