Odisha Public Service Commission (OPSC)
The state Government of Odisha conducts OPSC(Odisha Public Service Commission) Examination. Odisha Public Service Commission is commonly called as OPSC. OPSC is a state agency located in the State Of Odisha. The main responsibility of Odisha Public Service Commission is to conduct the Civil Services Examination for entry-level appointments to the various Civil Services of Odisha. Odisha PSC releases employment notifications every year to provide the career opportunities to the talented and eligible candidates. Various posts under OPSC are
- Veterinary Assistant Surgeon
- Medical Officer (Assistant Surgeon)
- Assistant Director
- Public Prosecutor
Eligibility Criteria for OPSC
- A candidate must be the citizen of India
- Candidates age limit should be 21 – 32 years as on 01-01-2017 (i.e., he/ she must have born not earlier than 02-01-1985 and not later than 01-01-1996)
- Age Relaxation for SC/ ST/ SEBC/ Women/ Ex Service Man/ Women Candidates is 5 Years.
- The upper age limit is relaxable by 10 Years for PWD Candidates.
- A candidate, who has more than one spouse living or in the case of a woman candidate, if married to a person having one wife living, shall not be eligible for appearing in the examination:
- Provided that the State Government may if satisfied that such marriage is permissible under the Personal Law applicable to such person or there are other grounds for so doing, exempt any person from the operation of this rule.
- Government Servants, whether permanent or temporary, are eligible to appear in the Examination, provided they possess the requisite qualification and are within the prescribed age limit.
- If a candidate has, at any time, been debarred for a particular period/chance(s) by the Odisha Public Service Commission or other State Public Service Commission or U.P.S.C. from appearing at any examination/Interview, he/she will not be eligible for such recruitment for that specified period/chance (s).
- Candidates should possess MBBS or equivalent Degree from Medical College or Medical Institution recognized by the Medical Council of India with valid registration certificates under the Odisha Medical Registration Rules 1965 and required conservation certificates recognized by Medical Council of India (MCI) in the case of candidates having Degree from University of Foreign Countries.
Exam Pattern of OPSC
- Preliminary Examination.
- Main Examination.
- Personality Test or Interview.
The Preliminary Exam of the OPSC Civil Services has two primary papers on the following topics:
- Paper I: GS (General Studies)
- Paper II: Optional Paper
Optional Subject List
- Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science.
- Agricultural Engineering.
- Civil Engineering.
- Commerce & Accountancy.
- Electrical Engineering.
- Fisheries Science.
- Home Science.
- Indian Language & Literature (anyone): Oriya, Hindi, Sanskrit, English, Persian, Urdu.
- Mechanical Engineering.
- Political Science & International Relations.
- Public Administration.
T he main exam will be done after the candidate has qualified in the first level i.e. Preliminary Exam. The main examination has the following nine papers to be trained for getting selected in the second level of exam. These include the following:
- Paper I: Oriya language (300 Marks)
- Paper II: English (300 Marks)
- Paper III: English Essay (200 Marks)
- Paper IV: General Studies I (300 Marks)
- Paper V: General Studies II (300 Marks)
- Paper VI, VII, VIII and IX will be based on the optional subjects
Syllabus of OPSC
Prelims Syllabus Paper – 1
- General Science.
- Current events – International & National.
- History of India and Indian National Movement.
- Indian Geography.
- World Geography.
- Indian Constitution.
- Indian Economy.
- General Mental Ability.
Paper – 2
- Interpersonal Skills.
- Logical Reasoning.
- Analytical Ability.
- Decision Making.
- Problem Solving.
- General Mental Ability.
- Basic Numeracy.
- Data Interpretation.
- English Language.
Syllabus of English
- Fill in the blanks.
- Spot the error.
- Synonyms/ Homonyms.
- Sentence structure.
- Detecting Mis-spelt words.
- One word substitutions.
- Idioms and phrases.
- Verbal Comprehension passage etc.
Syllabus For Mathematics
- Differential Geometry.
- Differential Equations.
- Number Systems.
- Computation of Whole Numbers.
- Time and Distance.
- Ratio and Time.
- Ratio and Proportion.
- Profit and Loss.
- Use of Tables and Graphs.
- Time and Work.
- Precis writing.
- Translation from English to Odia.
- Essay Writing.
- Expansion of an idea etc.
General Studies I
- History of Modern India and Indian Culture.
- Geography of India.
- Indian Polity.
- Constitution of India.
- Current National Issues.
- Human Resource Development.
- Social Issues and Social Welfare problems.
- Legal and Environmental issues.
- Ecological issues.
- The role of National Institutions.
General Studies II
- India and the World.
- Foreign Affairs.
- External Security.
- Indian Economy.
- International Affairs.
- International Institutions.
- Science & Technology.
- Space Technology.
- Statistical Analysis.
For complete syllabus of OPSC click here
How to Prepare for OPSC?
- Make your schedule of study give appropriate time to each and every topic.
- Read newspaper, magazine, etc. To increase your awareness on current affairs just keep an eye on reading the various newspapers, watch television for breaking the news.
- Keep yourself up to date. Just go solving on previous papers, make a habit of marking he key point.
- Make your notes so that it will be easy while revising at last moments.
- Take the help of online assessment it will be better to boost your confidence level.
- Self-assessment is an important preparation. Plan your studies at least two months before the exam.
- Questions can be asked from every nook and corner of the subject and therefore it is not all advisable to omit any chapter or area.
- Practice as many mock tests as possible in close to examination environment as possible. During preparation avoid a fatty food just and avoid anxiety before the exam.
- Make a strict timetable for you on a daily basis. You have required daily 8-10 hrs. Study for mains as very less time has left.
Focus on good topics. Study all Government schemes of Odisha state with particular attention and keep an eye on central schemes as well
- Quantitative Aptitude and Reasoning books by R.S Agarwal.
- Objective General English by S.P Bakshi
- NCERT Books
- For Current Affairs refer Pratiyogita Darpan magazine
- Phrasal Verbs Dictionary (English) 2nd Edition by Cambridge Dictionary
- For All Competitive Exams Idioms & Phrases (English) 2nd Edition by Roshan Tolani
How to Prepare for OPSC