Role of women in India
There is the major role of women in India. She is playing a role of four-fold status-role sequences. These were her role is daughter, wife, housewife (homemaker), and mother.
Whatever a woman’s reason may say, her feelings tell her the truth.
The woman, whose status and role traditionally was well defined and almost fixed in the society, is now experiencing far-reaching changes. The woman in modern times is entering into certain new fields that were unknown to the woman’s sphere of role-sets. They are activating participating in social, economic, and political activities.
The women of the present generation have received higher education than the women of their preceding generation. There have been far-reaching consequences in the economic status of their families.
Role of women in the society
- The modern women are inclined towards the social issues and trying hard to improve the social status of women at large.
- Increased awareness and education have inspired women to come out of the four walls of the home.
- Many women actively supported and participated in the nationalist movement and secured prominent positions and offices in administration and public life in free India.
- Traditionally Indian women exist because of the family and for the family.
- Just like their man counterpart, women are also fond of attending social functions and value her social life quite a lot.
- Previously, men-folk used to discourage women from leaving their households for attending social functions. Now the spread of education, especially that of women, and with that, the changing social attitudes of educated women have changed the order.
- The modern woman has started caring for her health, figure, cultural needs, and interests, academic pursuits, social intercourse, religious activities recreational needs, etc.
Role of women as a wife
- Woman as a wife enjoyed a status ideally almost equally to that of her husband and performed both social as well as biological functions.
- Even today, the Indian girls are still brought up on models portraying selflessness, self-denial, and sacrifice.
- The desire for mutual affection and love is beginning to appear in their conception of their relationship with their husbands.
- The husband-wife relationship has become more equalitarian in character and much more companionable. More freedom of choice in marriage is thus an accompaniment to the change in the form of the family.
Role of women in politics
- Education of women has not only helped them to become aware of the political problems, but they are gradually becoming active participants in the political life.
- Some are enrolling themselves as members of political parties, attending party meetings, conventions, and carrying out political programs.
- Some women are attaining the influential political stature of their own and have become instrumental in shaping the public opinion for the betterment of women’s conditions in society.
Role of women in socio-economic activities
- The woman in modern times is entering into certain new fields that were unknown to the woman’s sphere of role-sets. These are the woman’s participation in economic, political, and social life.
- The modern woman keenly desires to enter into a work career because of the pressing economic needs of the family.
- In middle-class families, much emphasis given to the maintenance of high standard of living. To fulfill the economic requirements of the family and to achieve the higher standard of living the woman participates in economic activities.
Role of women in marriage
- Most women, even the educated, regard marriage as a matter of parental choice.
- Many young girls of the middle and upper classes educated to (or “intending to”) marriage rather than to careers.
- Many girls enter into careers apparently not because they want them, but because there is nothing else to be done until their parents find them husbands.
Role of women at Universal on his equality
Women’s equality regarding education, employment, and power is still an individual rather than a universal achievement. The majority of our women are still content to accept an inferior status. It is by, and largely because, although legally women have equal rights with men, there are not enough jobs for women and working women not adequately protected from exploitation.
Less awareness of his legal status
The women have not aware of the provision related to improvement on their position. There are so many rights for the women provision, and they know it perfectly their rights of succession, marriage, or family. Abut they do not involve in this provision just because they do not have any desire.
There are many families who restricts to the women for their rights and enjoyment. The reason is they have rights for the traditional dominance of the authority of the male, husband, and other elder members of the family.
Most of the women have suffering from the traditional dominance and they not raising his voice for against it, rarely women is raising his voice against the traditional dominance.
Rural women in India
In the national development, women plays equal and important role in India on the Gandhiji vision.
According the Indian constitution, women have more rights for enjoyment and privileges while they are urban women or rural women.
Generally, most of the women are living in the urban area which is middle class and educated women. They have the rights for raising the movement of socio-economic status. But the rural women yet to enjoy their rights and privileges as enshrined in the constitution.
Women welfare organization
There are many organizations for the women welfare. Here, such organization at the national level and important organization are young for examples, Women Christian Association, All India women’s conference, national council of women, Inner wheel (Women’s section of the rotary International). There is also the local organization for the women welfare in the many cities such as, Mahila Mandal, Mahila Samiti, and Recreation Clubs, etc.
In the modern country, the educated women are playing role on just threshold of transition from tradition to modernity. Women also want to raise their status and position in the society and it must be higher. There are many work for women to change his position in the India and improvement of their position.