SPSC 2018, Syllabus, Eligibility Criteria, Pattern, Preparation
Sikkim Public Service Commission (SPSC)
The State Government of Sikkim conduct’s SPSC (Sikkim Public Service Commission) Examination. Sikkim Public Service Commission (SPSC) conducts various examinations for recruitment to services in different fields, such as Civil Services, Engineering, Medical and Forest Service, etc. It conducts examination only in Gangtok. SPSC conducts various competitive tests that provide SPSC Jobs to applicants to build their career in different governmental sectors. Various posts under SPSC are
- Staff Nurse
- General Duty Medical Officer
- Statistical Inspector
- Cooperative Inspectors and Cooperative Auditors
- Junior Engineer ( Civil )
- State Civil Service & State Police Service ( Main ) Exam
- Head Master & Principal
- Prosthetic and Orthotic Engineer
- Graduate Teachers ( Humanities, Biology & Mathematics )
- Assistant Geologist
- Graduate Teachers and Post Graduate Teachers
- Account Officers
- Post Graduate Teachers
- Senior Information Assistant
- Junior Engineer ( Mechanical )
- Veterinary Officer
- Nepali Translator
- Labour Inspector
Eligibility Criteria for SPSC
- A Candidate must be the citizen of India
- Age of contenders should lies between 21 and 30 years of age as on August 1 every year for the exam and relaxations to the age limit are available for five years for candidates belonging to the scheduled castes or those who were domiciled in J & K.
- A relaxation of 3 years in the case of Defense Services Personnel disabled in operations;
- Eight years for Scheduled Caste candidate who is also a defense personnel, disabled in operations;
- Five years in the event of ex-servicemen including Commissioned Officers who have rendered at least five years Military Service as on August 1 of that year;
- Ten years in the case of ex-servicemen including Commissioned Officers who belong to the Scheduled Castes and who have rendered at least five years Military Service
- Candidates should possess Bachelor’s Degree from any recognized University, 2 (two) years Secretariat Course or 1 (one) year shorthand course with at least six months basic computer course.
Number of Attempts:
- Candidates are permitted four attempts at the examination
- There is no restriction on the number of attempts for scheduled caste candidates, but Other Backward Classes have seven attempts
Pattern of examination
The competitive examination comprises of following successive stages:
- Preliminary) Examinations (Objective Type),
- Main Examination (Written)
The Preliminary exam
The Preliminary Examination shall consist of the Single paper of Objective types (Multiple Choice Questions) and carry a maximum of 300 marks. The subject-wise allocation of marks would be as under:-
- General English 50 Marks
- General Knowledge 100Marks
- Mathematics, Knowledge of Economics, Business Studies
- Accounting and Computer Applications 150 Marks
- The Main Examination will consist of a written examination and an Interview Test. The written test will be composed of Three Papers of conventional type carrying 600 marks in total.
- B). Candidates who obtain such minimum qualifying marks in the written part of the Main Examination, as may be fixed by the Commission at their discretion, shall be called for interview. The marks obtained in these papers will be counted for ranking.
The written examination will consist of the following papers divided into two groups
Group: – I
- Paper I: Current Affairs , Analytical ability & General English of 200 Marks
Group: – II
- Paper-II: Mathematics & Allied Subjects (Mathematics, Economics, Accounting & Commerce) Standard of Secondary Level of 200 Marks
Group: – III
- Paper problem-solving One Optional paper, Graduation level of 200 Marks
Interview Test will carry 50 marks
Syllabus for SPSC
- Current events of National and International importance.
- Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India and the World
- Indian Polity and Governance – Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj
- Public Policy, Rights & Issues Sustainable Development, Poverty,
- Inclusive growth, Demographics, Social Sector initiatives, etc.
- Bio-diversity and Climate Change -that do not require subject specialization
- Basic Concept of Banking & Economics (Standard of Secondary School Level)
- Basic concept of Economics, Commerce and Principle of Accountancy
- (Standard of Secondary School Level)Logical reasoning and analytical ability
- Basic Computer Application
- Decision making and problem solving
- General mental ability
- Mathematics (Standard of Secondary School Level)
- General Knowledge on Sikkim
- English Language, Comprehension Skills, Composition and Grammar
- Current Affairs , Analytical Ability & General English – 200 Marks
- Current events of local, national and international importance
- National level pilot schemes and projects
- Indian Polity and Governance – Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj,
- Public Policy, Rights & Issues, etc.
- Economic and Social Development – Sustainable Development, Poverty, Financial
- Sikkim- Socio-Economic, Culture, Environment and developmental perspectives.
- Analytical Ability and Logical reasoning.
- Basic Computer Applications.
- Composition , Grammar & Essay
Mathematics and Allied Subjects of 200 Marks
- Basic algebra, Linear equation, quadratic equation, factors & simplification, polynomials.
- Simple & compound interest, installments, taxation, shares & dividends, Ratio & proportion, percentage, time, distance & work, profit & loss
- Triangles, rectangles & squares, circle, cone, cube & cuboid, sphere, cylinder, pyramid.
- Data handling & graphs, mean, median, mode
- Basics & ratio, identities, height & distance
- Probability, Permutation & combination
- Exponents, Square and cube roots, surds
- Introduction, Venn diagram
- Meaning and definition of Economics
- Concepts of Economics
- Basic problems of an economy
- Types of Economies
- Characteristics of the Indian economy.
- The Productive Mechanism
- Theory of Demand and Supply
- Public Finance
- Money And Banking
- Consumer Awareness
Element of Business studies
- Introductory: Meaning, functions, and scope of business
- Types of Business Organizations
- Channels of distribution
- Course of Business Transactions
- Mercantile Agents
- Warehousing and storekeeping
- Transportation of goods
- Different departments of Business establishment
- Functions of Stock Exchange
- Sources of Raising Funds
- Negotiable Instruments
Element of Book Keeping and Accountancy
- Need for Book-Keeping, Objectives and advantages of Bookkeeping.
- Basic concepts: Dual aspect of transactions and the accounting equation, Effect of transaction on Accounting equations, Business Entity Concept
- Nature of Accounts and Rules for debit and credit: Classification of Accounts, Rules for debit and credit, Preparation vouchers, and supporting documents
- Journal: Need for the Journal; Journal entries; Subsidiary books, journal proper.
- Ledger: Definition and importance; the relation between journal and ledger. Meaning of posting, guiding rule for posting transactions, balancing of accounts
- Recording and posting of cash transactions: Necessity of money book-types of cash books, cash column, cash, and bank column. Petty cash book and impress system.
- Trial balance: Purpose, methods, and limitations Total Marks
- Final Accounts: Preparation of Trading and Profit and Loss Account and Balance Sheet of a sole trader with simple adjustments.
- Bank Reconciliation Statement: Utility and preparation
- Bills of Exchange: Nature and use of bills of exchange and promissory notes; Recording transactions about drawing, discounting, retiring, dishonoring and renewing of bills of exchange
- Errors and their Rectification: Types of errors and entries for their rectification
- Depreciation: Objects and methods-Straight line and Diminishing balance methods
Group: – III
Paper III. Optional Subject
The applicant must select one subject out of the list of questions given below. Sikkim Public Service Commission shall notify the details of a syllabus.
- Animal Husbandry & Veterinary
- Botany History
- Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering
- Computer Science & Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Political Science and International Relations
- Chemistry Medical Science Commerce and Accountancy
- Mass Communication,
- Philosophy Public
- Forestry Fisheries Law Physics Zoology
- Literature of the following languages: Nepali, English, Limbo, Hindi, Lepcha & BhutiaStatistics Sociology Tourism Administration
How to Prepare for SPSC??
- Make your schedule of study give appropriate time to each and every topic.
- Read newspaper, magazine, etc. To increase your awareness on current affairs just keep an eye on reading the various newspapers, watch television for breaking the news.
- Keep yourself up to date. Just go solving on previous papers, make a habit of marking he key point.
- Make your notes so that it will be easy while revising at last moments.
- Take the help of online assessment it will be better to boost your confidence level.
- Self-assessment is an important preparation. Plan your studies at least two months before the exam.
- Questions can be asked from every nook and corner of the subject and therefore it is not all advisable to omit any chapter or area.
- Practice as many mock tests as possible in close to examination environment as possible. During preparation avoid a fatty food just and avoid anxiety before the exam.
- Make a strict timetable for you on a daily basis. You have required daily 8-10 hrs. Study for mains as very less time has left.
- Focus on healthy topics. Study all Government schemes of Sikkim state with particular attention and keep an eye on central schemes as well.
- During exams try to write the answer in points. Underline the key points of your answer
- Quantitative Aptitude and Reasoning books by R.S Agarwal.
- Objective General English by S.P Bashir
- NCERT Books
- For Current Affairs refer Pratiyogita Darpan magazine
- Phrasal Verbs Dictionary (English) 2nd Edition by Cambridge Dictionary
- For All Competitive Exams Idioms & Phrases (English) 2nd Edition by Roshan Tolani
How to Prepare for SPSC