UPSC MCQs Quiz 7: Geography with answers
1. Which of the following statements is the reason for ‘Seasons’ on the surface of the Earth?
- Rotation of the Earth
- Revolution of the Earth around the Sun
- The 23.5 degree inclination of the Earth’s rotation axis with respect to the plane of the ecliptic
- Revolution of Earth in elliptical orbit around the Sun
2. The ‘Blue Moon’ phenomenon occurs
- when two full Moons occur in the same month
- when four full Moons appear in two consecutive Months of the same calendar year
- when two full Moons appear in the same month thrice in a calendar year
- None of the above
3. Which one among the following statements regarding Chinook winds is not correct?
- These are local winds
- They descend along the Eastern slopes of the Rocky Mountain in mid-latitudes
- They bring lots of rain with them
- They benefit agriculture
4. The Earth revolves around the Sun in an elliptical path and the Sun is located at one focus of the ellipse. Imagine a situation is which Earth goes around the Sun on a circular path, Which one among the following would result in under that situation?
- It would not make any difference
- Difference between seasons will be reduced
- The Earth would become very hot
- The Earth would become very cold
5. Which one among the following is called terrestrial planet?
6. The monster earthquake-cum-tsunami which hit Japan on 11th March, 2011 has moved the country’s main island, Honshu, by about
- two feet
- three feet
- five feet
- eight feet
7. Which scale is used to measure the magnitude of earthquake?
8. How much of the Earth’s land surface is desert?
- 1 /5th
9. Alluvial fans may coalesce to form
- Both ‘a’ and ‘b’
10. The major mountain systems like the Andes or the Rockies form
- I Order Relief Feature
- II Order Relief Feature
- III Order Relief Feature
- IV Order Relief Feature
- 1. (c)
- 2. (a)
- 3. (d)
- 4. (b)
- 5. (a)
- 6. (d)
- 7. (a)
- 8. (b)
- 9. (b)
- 10. (b)