What is the Eligibility Criteria and Qualification for CDS Examinations
CDS is an examination which is conducted by UPSC. And SSB takes the candidates interview. CDS stands for ( Combined Defence Service ), UPSC stands for ( Union Public Service Commission ), SSB stands for (selection board service ). CDS needs the candidates into the Indian Military Academy, the Indian Naval Academy, the Indian Air Force Academy and The Officer Training Academy.
Candidates must be physically fit according to physical standards for admission to Combined Defence Services Examination.
The Indian Military Academy, the Indian Naval Academy, the Indian Air Force Academy
There are three subjects in the Indian Military Academy, the Indian Naval Academy, the Indian Air Force Academy. English, General Knowledge, Mathematics. The question paper is for 100 marks, and The examination duration is 120 minutes i.e. 2 hrs. Paper. And there will be total 120 question, it’s multiple choice question, and it is based on 11th and 12th class.
Officer Training Academy ( OTA )
There are two subjects in Officer Training Academy. English, General Knowledge. The paper is for 100 marks, and there will be total 120 questions, its multiple choices question and it is based on 11th and 12th class. The mathematics examination duration is 120minutines like 2 hrs. Paper.
A candidate must either be:
(i) a Citizen of India, or
(ii) a subject of Bhutan, or
(iii) a subject of Nepal, or
(iv) a Tibetan refugee who came over to India before the 1st January, 1962 with the intention of permanently settling in India, or
(v) a person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka and East African Countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire and Ethiopia or Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India.
Provided that a candidate belonging to categories (ii), (iii), (iv) and (v) above shall be a person in whose favour a certificate of eligibility has been issued by the Government of India.
Certificate of eligibility will, however, not be necessary in the case of candidates who are Gorkha subjects of Nepal.
A candidate in whose case a certificate of eligibility is necessary, may be admitted to the examination provisionally subject to the necessary certificate being given to him/her by the Govt. before the declaration of result by UPSC.
Age Limits, Sex and Marital Status
- For Indian Military Academy ( IMA )—Unmarried male candidates born not earlier than 2nd January, 1994 and not later than 1st January, 1999 only are eligible.
- For Indian Naval Academy (INA)—Unmarried male candidates born not earlier than 2nd January, 1994 and not later than 1st January, 1999 only are eligible.
- For Air Force Academy ( AFA )— 20 to 24 years as on 1st January 2018 i.e. born not earlier than 02nd January, 1994 and not later than 01st January, 1998 (Upper age limit for Candidates holding valid and current Commercial Pilot Licence issued by DGCA (India) is relaxable up to 26 yrs. i.e. born not earlier than 02nd January, 1992 and not later than 01st January, 1998 only are eligible.
Note: Candidate below 25 years of age must be unmarried. Marriage is not permitted during training. Married candidates above 25 years of age are eligible to 7 apply but during training period they will neither be provided married accommodation nor can they live with family out of the premises.
- For Officers’ Training Academy ( OTA )—(SSC Course for Men) Male candidates (married or unmarried) born not earlier than 2nd January, 1993 and not later than 1st January, 1999 only are eligible.
- For Officers’ Training Academy ( OTA )—(SSC Women Non-Technical Course) Unmarried women, issueless widows who have not remarried and issueless divorcees (in possession of divorce documents) who have not remarried are eligible. They should have been born not earlier than 2nd January, 1993 and not later than 1st January, 1999.
NOTE: Male divorcee/widower candidates cannot be treated as unmarried male for the purpose of their admission in IMA/INA/AFA courses and accordingly they are not eligible for these courses.
- For Indian Military Academy ( IMA ) and Officers’ Training Academy (OTA)— the candidate need to have a bachelor’s degree from a recognized university or equivalent
- For Indian Naval Academy ( INA ) — the candidate must have done with engineering degree from a recognized university or institution
- For Air Force Academy ( AFA ) — the candidate needs to have a bachelor’s degree from a recognized university (with Physics and Mathematics at 10+2 level) or Bachelor of Engineering.
Graduates with the first choice as Army/Navy/Air Force are to submit proof of graduation provisional certificates on the date of commencement of the SSB Interview at the SSB.
Candidates who are studying in the final year/semester Degree course and have yet to pass the final year degree examination can also apply provided candidate should not have any present backlog up to the last semester / year for which results have been declared up to the time of submission of application, and they will be required to submit proof of passing the degree examination at the time of SSB to reach the Army HQ/Rtg.
Candidates possessing professional and technical qualifications which are recognised by government as equivalent to professional and technical degrees would also be eligible for admission to the examination.
Candidates who are debarred by the Ministry of Defence from holding any type of commission in the Defence Services shall not be eligible for admission to the examination, and if admitted, their candidature will be cancelled.
Application form Fee
General category and male candidate need to pay Rs. 200. Reserved category candidate and women do not need to pay any application fee.
Female ST/SC candidates exempted from payment of the fee.
The form will be filled in two part. In the first half, you need to fill the personal details and second half continue with payment procedure.
No expectation in fee to OBC candidates.
Fee once paid shall not be refunded under any circumstances nor can the fee be held in reserve for any other examination or selection.