Latest Applications Open 2024:
The NID or National Institute of Design is one of the premier institutes in India offering opportunities for aspirants who wish to pursue courses like- Master of Design (M.Des.) or Bachelor of Design (B. Des).
While M. Des is a 2.5-year program offered in 19 disciplines across 3 Campuses, B. Des is a four-year program offered in 8 disciplines at the Ahmedabad campus.
All applicants applying for the M. Des. program (any discipline) must fulfil age and education qualification criteria.
- For Indian Nationals in General Category: The upper age limit for candidates is 30 years as of 30 June 2024. Only those candidates born on or after 1 July 1992 can apply for admission.
- For Indian Nationals in Reserved Category (Other Backward Class-Non Creamy Layer (OBC-NCL), Scheduled Caste (SC) & Scheduled Tribe (ST)): The upper age limit for candidates is 33 years as of 30 June 2024. Only those candidates born on or after 1 July 1989 are eligible to apply for admission.
- For Indian Nationals in Person with Disabilities (PwD) Reserved Category: The upper age limit for candidates is 35 years as of 30 June 2024. Only those candidates born on or after 1 July 1987 are eligible to apply for admission.
- For Foreign Nationals in Overseas (Supernumerary) Category: The upper age limit for candidates is 30 years as of 30 June 2024. Only those candidates born on or after 1 July 1992 can apply for admission.
In addition to satisfying the above age criteria, the candidate must possess at least one of the following minimum qualifications to be considered eligible for admission:
Bachelor’s degree of minimum 4-year duration in any specialization, after 12th standard or equivalent to 12th standard from any university or institute recognized by law in India. Condition: Applicant must have passed the Bachelor’s degree examinations at the time of document verification tentatively scheduled in June 2024.
Bachelor’s degree of minimum 3-year duration in any specialization, after 12th standard or equivalent to 12th standard. Condition: Applicants must have passed the Bachelor’s degree examinations before July 2024.
Full-time Diploma of minimum 4-year duration in Design/Fine Arts/Applied Arts/ Architecture, after 12th standard or equivalent to 12th standard, from any university or institute recognized by law in India. Condition: Applicants must have passed the Diploma examinations during document verification tentatively scheduled in June 2024.
* Applicants in the final year of their Bachelor’s degree/ Full-time Diploma program whose universities may not have issued the final degree certificate by the date of application to NID are eligible to apply, subject to passing all subjects without any backlog. Such a candidate must submit/produce a Provisional Degree certificate during counselling.
Suppose the degree/certificate has been obtained from a university/board of any country other than India. In that case, the candidate must obtain an equivalence certificate from the Association of Indian Universities (AIU), New Delhi, at the time of document verification, tentatively scheduled in June 2024. Visit http://www.aiu.ac.in for more details.
Overseas Category (Supernumerary Candidates):
Foreign Applicants—holding citizenship of a country other than India—are eligible to apply only under the overseas category, provided they fulfil all the eligibility criteria mentioned in Section 4.1. Of the seats available for the M.Des., 15% of supernumerary seats have been created for overseas applicants.
The actual number of seats available under the Overseas (supernumerary) category are as follows:
|No. of seats
|Master of Design (per discipline)
- Applicants under the overseas (supernumerary) category fall outside the ambit of seats reserved for the OBC-NCL, SC, ST, and PwD categories. They are required to pay the fees as per the overseas fee category.
- Applicants holding OCI and PIO cards must apply only under the Overseas(supernumerary) category.
- Non-resident Indians (NRIs) holding an Indian passport are not eligible to apply under the Overseas (supernumerary) category and must apply as Indian nationals.
- Candidates will be offered admission to NID based on the final merit list of the Overseas(supernumerary) category, which will be prepared after all the stages of the admission process have been completed.
- Only those candidates with a score of 50 percentile and above will be eligible for admission to NID.
To accept the offer of admission, overseas candidates must visit the relevant NID campus in person, as per the schedule.
At this time, candidates will be required to produce the following original documents along with their self-attested photocopies:
- Self-attested copies of the relevant pages of their valid passport.
- Self-attested copies of their grade sheets/mark sheets of all semesters equivalent to SSC (Grade X), HSC (Grade XII) and their degree certificate/provisional certificate/passing certificate.
- An equivalence certificate from the Association of Indian Universities (AIU), New Delhi, will have to be obtained in advance and required to be submitted at the time of document verification.
- The applicant will be responsible for obtaining a student visa for the entire program at NID before the commencement of the program.
- If selected candidates do not pay their program fees or fail to produce all of the required documents, or if they decline the offer of admission, their candidature will stand cancelled, and their seats will be offered to the next candidate in order of merit under the Overseas category.
- Seats remaining vacant in the Overseas (supernumerary) category will lapse and will not be transferred to candidates from other categories.
- Overseas applicants must appear for DAT Prelims and DAT Mains per the schedule mentioned in Section 2.
- Overseas applicants may choose their exam centre for DAT Prelims from any exam centre mentioned in Section 7.3.
- The language of instruction at NID is English.
- Candidates yet to appear for their qualifying exam (ONLY Full-time Diploma or Bachelor’s Degree in any discipline under 10+2+4 system or more) are eligible to apply, provided they produce proof of having acquired the minimum required qualifications at the time of document verification. Candidate must produce a valid certificate (Provisional/Degree) at the time of document verification tentatively scheduled in June 2024. Failing to produce the provisional degree certificate, such a candidate’s candidature will stand cancelled & will not be offered admission. Their seat will be offered to the next candidate in order of merit.
- Suppose the results of their final year of graduation (under the 10+2+4 system or more only) have not been declared by the concerned board or university when applying. In that case, such a candidate will have to submit a provisional degree certificate at the time of document verification scheduled on June 2024.
- Candidates who have not appeared for their final qualifying exam before the physical verification of documents will not be eligible for admission.
If you any queries regarding NID M.Des 2024 Eligibility, you can ask your query and leave comments below.
As a dedicated Biology Science graduate, I’m passionate about sharing the latest updates in national and state entrance exams through my blog. I aim to keep aspiring students informed about exam trends, important dates, and changes in syllabi. With a keen interest in education, I strive to offer valuable insights for students navigating the competitive landscape of entrance examinations and admission tests. Stay updated with me.