Latest Applications Open 2023:
CAT 2023/24 Online Application Correction has been Started on 25th September 2023. Online Application Form Last Date has been Extended till 21st September 2023. IIM Lucknow conducts this Year’s CAT Exam 2024. The Examination will be held on 26th November 2023. The Common Admission Test (CAT) is a highly famous and competitive entrance exam conducted by the IIMs (Indian Institute of Management) in India. It is a gateway for admission to prestigious management courses, particularly the Master of Business Administration (MBA) courses offered by top business schools in India, including the Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs). CAT is organized annually by one of the IIMs on a rotational basis. It is a computer-based test designed to evaluate a candidate’s aptitude in various areas, such as Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC), Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DILR), and Quantitative Ability (QA).
CAT offers management courses like MBA, PGDM, Executive MBA, FPM/Ph.D., and sector-specific MBAs in Finance, Marketing, and Human Resources. The exam has two stages: Prelims test Verbal Ability, Data Interpretation, and Quantitative Ability. Shortlisted candidates proceed to the main stage with WAT, GD, and PI. Course duration varies, with MBA and PGDM usually two years, while specialized programs will last up to four years. The CAT exam follows a standard format and is typically conducted in November and December each year. It contains multiple-choice questions (MCQs) and a smaller portion of non-MCQs. Candidates are allotted a specific timeframe within which they must complete the exam.
Numerous business schools and management institutes across India widely accept CAT scores. These scores play a crucial role in the admission process and are used to shortlist candidates for further evaluation, including group discussions, personal interviews, and written ability tests. The CAT exam attracts many applicants yearly, with over 2.3 Lacs (230,000) candidates applying for it. CAT scores hold immense value as prestigious IIMs and other top MBA colleges across India widely accept them. Completing the CAT exam opens doors to prestigious management programs and diverse career opportunities.
CAT 2023/24 Notification – Registration Correction Started
CAT 2024 Latest News and Updates
The notification for CAT 2024 has been released on 1st August 2023. The registration process is set to commence on 2nd August 2023, with the last date to apply till 21st September 2023. Candidates will have a window to correct their applications in the third and fourth weeks of September 2023. The availability of admit cards is from 25th October to 26th November 2023.
The CAT 2024 exam is scheduled for 26th November 2023. Following the exam, the answer key is expected to be released in the first week of December 2023. Candidates will have a few days after releasing the answer key to submit objections or suggestions. The declaration of the CAT 2024 results is expected to take place in the third week of December 2023. The common admission process (CAP) is set to commence in January 2024. Participating institutions will release their respective cut-off scores in January or February 2024.
Latest Applications For Various UG & PG Courses Open 2023
What is CAT?
CAT (Common Admission Test) is a highly competitive and nationally renowned entrance examination conducted in India for admission to various postgraduate management programs. It is a gateway for students aspiring to pursue a Master of Business Administration (MBA) or Post Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM) in prestigious nationwide business schools and management institutes. The CAT exam is an essential requirement for MBA admissions, encompassing all 20 IIMs, along with esteemed institutions such as FMS Delhi, SPJIMR Mumbai, MDI Gurgaon, IIT Bombay, IIT Delhi, IIT Kharagpur, NITIE Mumbai, and several other top B-schools across India. This highly anticipated exam attracts many candidates, with over two lakh individuals appearing for it annually in pursuit of admission opportunities in MBA programs offered by the IIMs and other reputed MBA colleges in the country.
CAT scores hold significant value in the admission process and are crucial in shortlisting candidates for further evaluation, including group discussions, personal interviews, and written ability tests. CAT encompasses various management programs, including MBA, PGDM, Executive MBA, FPM/Ph.D., and specialized MBAs in Finance, Marketing, Human Resources, and more. Students can choose programs aligning with their career aspirations and interests, gaining expertise in their preferred management field.CAT management programs’ duration varies based on the institution and program. MBA and PGDM usually take two years (full-time), while specialized courses may extend up to four years for a deeper and more focused approach. CAT offers students a valuable chance to gain vital managerial skills, leadership qualities, and industry knowledge, preparing them for success in the dynamic corporate world.
It is crucial to note that admission to the IIMs and other participating institutions will be based on the CAT 2024 score. These institutions do not consider scores from other entrance exams, emphasizing the significance of performing well in the CAT exam to secure admission into their esteemed MBA programs.
CAT 2024 Quick Links
CAT 2024 Important Dates
Candidates planning to take the CAT exam in 2024 are encouraged to stay updated with important dates, including the exam date, registration period, availability of admit cards, and result declaration. While the official notification for CAT 2024 is yet to be announced by the authority, we have provided tentative dates for the upcoming CAT MBA entrance exam in 2024.
|Notification releases||1st August 2023|
|Start of the registration process||2nd August 2023|
|Last date to apply||21st September 2023|
|Correction facility opens||3rd-4th week of September 2023|
|Availability of admit card||25th October – 26th November 2023|
|CAT 2024 Exam date||26th November 2023|
|Answer key releases||1st week of December 2023|
|Submission of objections/ suggestions||Till 3-4 days after release|
|Declaration of result||3rd week of January 2024|
CAT 2024 Highlights
The CAT exam, widely recognized as India’s most desirable MBA test, offers the opportunity to pursue post-graduation in MBA programs. The upcoming CAT 2024 examination is scheduled to take place in three sessions across approximately 300 examination centers situated in over 155 cities throughout India.
Candidates are advised to familiarise themselves with the essential aspects of the exam, which are presented in detail in the provided table:
|CAT full form|
Common Admission Test
|Conducting Authority||IIMs on a rotation basis|
|Exam Level||National Level|
Once a year, in 3 sessions/ shifts
Admission to IIMs, SPJIMR, FMS, MDI, IMT and over 1,200 B-Schools in India
Computer Based Test (CBT) with MCQs and non-MCQs
INR 2,300 for the General category
INR 1,150 for SC/ST/PwD
Negative marking of 1 mark for each wrong answer
|Eligibility criteria for CAT exam 2024|
Graduation with 50 % aggregate (45 % for SC/ST students)
Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension (VARC)
Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning (DILR)
Quantitative Ability (QA)
|No. of test cities||150|
|Exam helpdesk no.|
Phone: +91-080-26993388 / 3017 / 3013
Time: Monday to Friday,
9:30 AM to 5:30 PM
CAT Conducting IIMs Over the Years
The CAT exam, conducted by different Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) on a rotational basis, has witnessed the involvement of various IIMs throughout the years. Here is the list of IIMs that have conducted the CAT exam in specific years:
- CAT 2023/24: The CAT exam for 2023 is conducted by IIM Lucknow. As the conducting authority, IIM Lucknow is responsible for organizing and overseeing the examination process.
- CAT 2021: The CAT exam for 2021 was conducted by IIM Ahmedabad. As the conducting authority, IIM Ahmedabad was responsible for organizing and overseeing the examination process, including setting the exam pattern and question paper and conducting the test across multiple test centers.
- CAT 2020: IIM Indore conducted the CAT exam in 2020. With their expertise, IIM Indore ensured a smooth and fair examination process, adhering to the prescribed guidelines and regulations.
- CAT 2019: The CAT exam 2019 was conducted under the guidance of IIM Kozhikode. As the conducting IIM, IIM Kozhikode played a crucial role in organizing and managing the exam, maintaining its integrity and credibility.
- CAT 2018: IIM Calcutta was responsible for conducting the CAT exam 2018. With its esteemed reputation, IIM Calcutta oversaw the entire examination process, including setting the question paper, conducting the exam, and declaring the results.
- CAT 2017: IIM Lucknow was responsible for conducting the CAT exam 2017. Being the conducting IIM, IIM Lucknow ensured the smooth execution of the exam, following the prescribed guidelines and maintaining transparency in the evaluation process.
- CAT 2016: The CAT exam in 2016 was conducted by IIM Bangalore. As the conducting authority, IIM Bangalore was responsible for organizing and supervising the examination process, ensuring fairness and accuracy in assessing candidates’ aptitude.
- CAT 2015: IIM Ahmedabad was responsible for conducting the CAT exam in 2015. Being the conducting IIM, IIM Ahmedabad played a pivotal role in conducting the exam, including setting the exam pattern, conducting the test, and announcing the results.
- CAT 2014: IIM Indore conducted the CAT exam in 2014. With their expertise, IIM Indore managed all aspects of the examination process, from setting the question paper to conducting the test and evaluating the candidates’ responses.
- CAT 2013: The CAT exam in 2013 was conducted by IIM Indore. As the conducting IIM, IIM Indore ensured the smooth organization and execution of the exam, maintaining the integrity and transparency of the entire process.
- CAT 2012: IIM Kozhikode was responsible for conducting the CAT exam 2012. Being the conducting authority, IIM Kozhikode oversaw the entire examination process, from designing the exam pattern to conducting the test and announcing the results.
CAT 2024 Courses Offered
The CAT 2024 exam opens doors to various management courses offered by various prestigious institutions. While the specific courses available may vary depending on the participating institutions. The availability of specific courses may vary from institution to institution. Candidates are advised to thoroughly research and explore the programs offered by different B-schools and institutions participating in CAT 2024 to determine their preferred courses and specializations.
Some common programs that candidates can explore through the CAT 2024 exam:
- Master of Business Administration (MBA): This is the most famous course and covers various specializations such as Finance, Marketing, Human Resources, Operations, and more. It provides students with essential management skills and prepares them for leadership roles in diverse industries.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM): Similar to an MBA, this program focuses on developing management skills and offers specializations in areas like International Business, Business Analytics, Entrepreneurship, and more. Many top-tier B-schools offer PGDM programs.
- Executive MBA (EMBA): Designed for working professionals with significant work experience, EMBA programs provide advanced management education tailored for executives seeking career growth and leadership positions.
- Post Graduate Program in Management (PGPM): Some institutions offer this program as an alternative to an MBA, providing comprehensive management education and specialization options.
- Fellow Program in Management (FPM)/Ph.D.: These programs are research-oriented and target individuals interested in pursuing an academic or research career in management. They focus on producing scholars and experts in specific management disciplines.
- Dual Degree Programs: Some institutions offer integrated dual-degree programs that combine an MBA or PGDM with another specialized degree, such as an MS or MA in a complementary field, providing students with a broader skillset.
CAT 2024 Notification
The CAT 2024 Admission Notification is to be released on 1st August 2023. The exam will be conducted on 26th November 2023 in an online computer-based test (CBT) mode. The responsibility of organizing the CAT exam rotates among the Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) each year, and IIM Lucknow is expected to be the conducting authority for CAT 2023/2024.
CAT is a national-level entrance exam essential for admission into various management programs, including post-graduate and fellow/doctorate courses offered by the IIMs. The exam is conducted in three sessions containing many candidates. In addition to the IIMs, scores from the CAT exam are also accepted by several non-IIM institutions listed as eligible recipients. However, it’s important to note that the IIMs do not participate in the selection process of these non-IIM institutions. It is advised to stay updated with the official CAT 2024 Admission Notification for accurate and detailed information regarding important dates, registration procedures, exam format, and participating institutions.
CAT 2024 Application Form
The CAT exam form 2024 is available on 2nd August 2023. Candidates planning to take the CAT 2024 exam can conveniently complete the application process online through the official website, iimcat.ac.in.
Check complete details about CAT 2024 Application form, from online registration to its submission:
- The registration process for CAT 2024 has been begin on 2nd August 2023. Candidates aspiring to appear for the Common Admission Test (CAT) must mark their calendars and be prepared to register during this period.
- To facilitate a smooth registration process, detailed information about the CAT 2024 exam, including important dates for registration, examination, and other relevant details, will be provided in the official notification scheduled to be released on 1st August 2023. Candidates are advised to go through this notification carefully to stay updated about all the essential aspects of the exam.
- Candidates must carefully read and understand all the instructions before proceeding with the registration form. Following the instructions meticulously will prevent confusion or errors during registration.
- The online registration window will remain open until 21st September 2023. Aspirants should avoid waiting until the last moment to register to avoid potential technical glitches or heavy traffic on the website.
- During registration, candidates must ensure all mandatory details are correctly filled in the form. Missing or incorrect information may lead to disqualification, so it’s crucial to be thorough while providing personal details, academic history, and other required information.
- To receive official communications, such as the admit card and other updates, candidates must provide a unique and valid email address and mobile number. It is essential to use contact information that is regularly monitored to stay informed about all important announcements.
- Before starting the registration process, candidates should gather all the information, documents, and images required during registration. This includes personal identification documents, academic certificates, work experience details (if applicable), and preferences for the test city.
- After completing the registration form, candidates must take the time to review all the details entered thoroughly. Once the form is submitted, there will be no provision for making changes, and any errors may adversely affect the candidate’s candidature.
- Candidates should strictly adhere to submitting only one registration form. Submitting multiple forms may lead to rejection of the application, and the CAT authorities may consider the latest submission as final, discarding the earlier ones.
CAT 2024 Application Fees
The CAT 2024 application fee is an essential requirement all candidates must fulfill to proceed with their application. You can get the application fee details, payment options, and other relevant information below.
- Online Mode for Fee Payment: The application fee for CAT 2024 can be paid online. This payment mode offers candidates convenience and ease, enabling them to complete the fee payment process from the comfort of their homes.
- Fee for ST, SC, PWD Category: Candidates belonging to the ST (Scheduled Tribes), SC (Scheduled Castes), and PWD (Persons with Disabilities) categories are required to pay an application fee of Rs.1150. This reduced fee structure promotes inclusivity and provides equal opportunities to candidates from these marginalized sections.
- Fee for General, EWS, NC-OBC Category: Candidates falling under the General, EWS (Economically Weaker Sections), and NC-OBC (Non-Creamy Layer Other Backward Classes) categories need to pay an application fee of Rs.2300. This fee structure applies to a broader category of candidates.
- Multiple Online Payment Options: To cater to the diverse preferences of candidates, CAT 2024 allows online fee payment through various modes. Candidates can pay using Debit cards, Credit cards, Net banking, or UPI (Unified Payment Interface).
- One-Time Fee Payment: Irrespective of the number of management institutions a candidate is applying to, the application fee needs to be paid only once. This streamlines the payment process and eliminates the need for multiple transactions for different institutes.
- Non-Refundable Fee: Candidates must be aware that once the fee is paid, it will not be refunded under any circumstances. Even if a candidate decides not to appear for the CAT exam or faces unforeseen circumstances, the fee will not be reimbursed.
- Ensuring Timely Payment: Candidates should be vigilant about paying the application fee within the stipulated timeframe mentioned in the CAT 2024 notification. Payment delays may lead to application rejection, and candidates may miss the opportunity to appear for the exam.
- Secure Online Transactions: The online fee payment portal for CAT 2024 is designed to ensure the security of financial transactions. Candidates should use secure and trusted internet connections to safeguard their sensitive information while making payments.
- Retaining Payment Confirmation: After completing the online fee payment, candidates should save the payment confirmation receipt or take a screenshot for future reference. This receipt is proof of payment and can be useful for future communication with the CAT authorities.
The application fee for different categories is as follows:
|For candidates belonging to SC/ ST/ PWD||Rs.1150/-|
|All other category candidates||Rs.2300/-|
How to Fill CAT Application Form
To fill out the CAT (Common Admission Test) application form, candidates can follow the step-by-step process outlined below:
- Visit the official website of CAT, iimcat.ac.in, using a web browser of your choice.
- Locate and click the “New Candidate Registration” option on the homepage. This will initiate the registration process.
- Fill in the required personal information in the form. Provide accurate details such as your full name, date of birth, email address, country of residence, and mobile number, and enter the provided captcha code to proceed.
- Once you have filled in the information, click the “Generate OTP” button. You will receive a One-Time Password (OTP) on your registered email ID and mobile number.
- Verify your email ID and mobile number by entering the OTP received. This step confirms the authenticity of your contact information.
- After successful verification, log in to the CAT portal using the CAT ID and password you created during registration.
- Access the application form and provide additional details such as personal information (including communication and emergency contact details), academic qualifications starting from SSC/Class 10 onwards, and any relevant work experience, if applicable.
- Prepare the necessary documents per the format and size for uploading. These may include your recent passport-sized photograph, scanned signature, and other requested documents. Upload the documents to the application form.
- Select up to six preferred exam cities from the available options. Choose cities that are convenient for you to appear for the CAT exam.
- Proceed to the payment section and pay the CAT registration fee. For general category candidates and those belonging to the EWS/NC-OBC category, the fee is approximately Rs 2300. For candidates from SC/ST/PwD categories, the fee is approximately Rs 1150. Select the preferred payment mode, which may include options such as debit card, credit card, net banking, or UPI.
- After successful payment, a confirmation message will be displayed. Take a printout of the completed CAT 2024 application form for future reference. The printout will serve as proof of your registration.
Documents Required for Uploading in CAT 2024
The CAT (Common Admission Test) 2024 application process requires candidates to upload certain documents. At the same time, the specific document requirements may vary each year. Here are some common documents typically required for uploading during the CAT application process:
- Photograph: A recent passport-sized photograph of the candidate is usually required. The photograph should be in color, taken against a light-colored or white background, and clear and recognizable. The file size and format for the photograph will be specified in the CAT application guidelines.
- Signature: Candidates must usually upload a scanned copy of their signature. The signature should be done on white paper using a black ink pen. Ensuring that the signature is clear and matches the one used for official documents is essential.
- Category Certificate: Candidates belonging to reserved categories such as SC/ST/OBC/PwD are often required to upload a valid category certificate issued by the competent authority. The certificate should mention the candidate’s category and be in the prescribed format.
- Academic Mark Sheets and Certificates: Candidates may be required to upload scanned copies of their academic mark sheets and certificates. This includes documents from SSC/Class 10 onwards, including graduation or post-graduation degrees if applicable. The documents should be clear and legible, showing the candidate’s name, institution name, and marks obtained.
- Work Experience Certificate: Candidates with work experience may be required to upload a work experience certificate. The certificate should mention the duration of employment, designation, and a brief description of the roles and responsibilities.
- Identification Proof: Candidates may be asked to upload a scanned copy of a valid identification proof document, such as an Aadhaar card, PAN card, voter ID, or passport. The document should clearly show the candidate’s name, photograph, and other necessary details.
During the process of completing the CAT application form for the year 2024, you will need to upload scanned versions of the following documents:
- Photograph: A recent photograph taken within the last 6 months, saved in either .jpg or .jpeg format. The file size should not exceed 80kb.
- Signature: Your signature should be made using black ink on white paper. The image of your signature, saved in either .jpg or .jpeg format, should have a file size of no more than 80kb. The recommended dimensions for the image are 80mm x 35mm.
- NC-OBC/SC/ST Certificate: You must provide a self-attested scanned copy of your category certificate in PDF format. The maximum allowed file size for this document is 200kb.
- PwD Certificate: To submit your PwD (Persons with Disabilities) certificate, download the certificate form from the official CAT 2023 website. Fill in the necessary details, self-attest the document, and upload it as a PDF file with a size of 200kb or less.
CAT 2024 Application Correction
The opportunity to make corrections to the CAT application will be provided a few days after the completion of the registration process. Registered applicants will be able to access the correction facility through online mode on the official website. The correction facility will be accessible on the official website for 3-4 days. During this time, applicants can rectify errors in specific sections of the application form. However, it’s important to note that certain details, such as name and email address, may not be editable and will remain unchanged.
To modify your CAT 2024 application form, follow the step-by-step instructions below:
- Start by visiting the official website dedicated to CAT 2024. You can access this website by entering the URL iimcat.ac.in into your web browser.
- Locate the login section on the website and enter your credentials. This will typically include your user ID and password. Make sure to enter these details accurately to ensure successful login.
- After logging in, navigate to your account or dashboard to find various options and features related to your CAT application.
- Look for the section or tab corresponding to your application form. Click on it to open your application form for CAT 2024.
- Once your application form is displayed on the screen, carefully review the information you provided during the initial registration process.
- Identify the sections or fields that require modifications or corrections. These may include personal, educational, and contact details or other relevant sections. Make the necessary changes or corrections in the appropriate fields. Ensure the new information is accurate and reflects the updates you wish to make.
- As you make each modification, double-check the accuracy of the revised information before moving on to the next correction.
- After completing all the required modifications, it is crucial to save the application form. Look for a “Save” or “Save Changes” button at the bottom or top of the form. Click on it to ensure that your changes are recorded and updated successfully.
CAT Registration Statistics
The Common Admission Test (CAT) is a highly competitive entrance exam conducted annually in India for admission to various management programs offered by Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) and other prestigious business schools.
Here are some key points regarding CAT registration statistics:
- Number of Registrations: CAT registrations have increased over the years. In recent years, applicants have exceeded 2 lakh (200,000).
- Gender Distribution: In terms of gender distribution, the number of male and female applicants has been relatively balanced, with a slight majority of male applicants in some years.
- Educational Background: CAT attracts candidates from diverse educational backgrounds. Applicants with undergraduate degrees in engineering and commerce have traditionally formed a significant proportion of the applicant pool.
- Regional Distribution: CAT applicants come from all regions of India. There is a wide representation from various states and union territories, with higher participation from states with well-known management institutes.
- Competition and Acceptance Rate: CAT is known for its competitiveness, and the acceptance rate is relatively low due to the limited number of seats available. The acceptance rate varies each year depending on the number of applicants and the total number of seats offered by participating institutions.
CAT 2024 Login
The Common Admission Test (CAT) 2024 is yet to take place, and the registration process for CAT 2024 has not commenced. Therefore, specific information regarding CAT 2024 login is not available now. To access the CAT 2024 login portal and complete the registration process or access your account, it is recommended to visit the official CAT website (iimcat.ac.in) or refer to the official communication from the conducting authority closer to the registration period. It’s important to stay updated with the official announcements and notifications from the conducting authority to ensure you have the latest and most accurate information regarding CAT 2024, including the login process and other important details.
CAT 2024 Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for the CAT exam 2024 will be announced and made available to candidates on the official website of IIM, along with the CAT 2024 notification. CAT 2024 is expected to be held in November 2024, and candidates who aspire to appear for the exam must meet the specified eligibility criteria. These criteria are set by the conducting body and serve as the foundation for determining the eligibility of candidates. The detailed eligibility criteria for CAT 2024 will cover various aspects such as educational qualifications, marks or grades obtained in the qualifying examination, age limit, and other relevant requirements. These criteria ensure that candidates have the necessary academic background and meet the requirement for a management program.
The nationality criteria for the CAT (Common Admission Test) exam in India are designed to determine the eligibility of candidates based on their citizenship status. Candidates must provide relevant documents, such as a valid Indian passport or NRI certificate, to establish their nationality and eligibility during the CAT registration process. It is essential to ensure that you meet the specified nationality criteria before applying for the CAT exam. Candidates who wish to appear for the CAT exam must fall into one of the following categories:
- Indian Citizens: The primary eligibility requirement for CAT is that candidates must be Indian citizens. Indian citizens hold Indian citizenship by birth, descent, registration, or naturalization.
- Non-Resident Indians (NRIs): Besides Indian citizens, some CAT exams may allow Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) to apply. NRIs are Indian citizens but reside outside India for various reasons, such as employment, education, or business.
There is no specific age limit for appearing in the CAT exam. Candidates of any age can apply for CAT.
The qualifying examination refers to the educational degree or program that candidates must have completed or be in the final year of to be eligible for the CAT (Common Admission Test) exam. The qualifying examination is an essential criterion for determining a candidate’s eligibility to pursue a management program. The specific requirements for the qualifying examination can vary depending on the conducting authority and the institutions accepting CAT scores. However, the following guidelines generally apply:
- Bachelor’s Degree: Candidates must hold a bachelor’s degree from a recognized university or educational institution. The degree can be in any discipline, such as arts, science, commerce, engineering, or others.
- Final Year Students: Candidates appearing for the final year of their bachelor’s degree program are also eligible to take the CAT exam. However, they must ensure they complete their degree with the required percentage or CGPA before the specified deadline set by the respective institutions.
- Minimum Duration: The qualifying degree must have a minimum duration of three years. Some institutions may consider equivalent degrees or qualifications from recognized professional bodies.
- Accreditation: The qualifying degree must be obtained from a recognized university or educational institution approved by the appropriate accreditation bodies.
CAT 2024 Exam Pattern
The CAT (Common Admission Test) is a highly competitive exam for admission to MBA and other management programs in prestigious business schools in India. The CAT 2024 exam pattern is yet to be announced, but it typically consists of online sections: Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC), Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DILR), and Quantitative Ability (QA).
The exam includes both multiple-choice and non-multiple-choice questions, with a penalty for incorrect answers in multiple-choice questions. CAT assesses candidates’ problem-solving skills, analytical thinking, and aptitude for management studies. Preparation, understanding the syllabus, and developing effective strategies are crucial for success.
For a complete understanding of the CAT (Common Admission Test) exam pattern.
|Medium of Examination||English|
|Mode of Examination|
|Slots for Exam||3|
|Questions Per Section||
Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension (VARC),-24
Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning (DILR),-20
Quantitative Aptitude (QA).- 22
|Time Duration of CAT exam section-wise||
40 minutes per section (Total 120 minutes) 66
|Type of questions||
MCQs and Non-MCQ
|Marks Awarded for Correct Answer||+3 for every right answer|
|Marks Deducted for Wrong Answer||
1 for every wrong answer
No negative marking for Non-MCQ
Subject-wise marks distribution and number of questions
Subject-wise marks distribution and a number of questions for CAT 2024 are as follows:
|Section||No. of MCQs||No. of Non-MCQs||Total Marks|
|Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (Section I)||24||10||102|
|Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (Section II)||24||8||96|
|Quantitative Ability (Section III)||27||7||102|
The CAT (Common Admission Test) exam is known for its dynamic and evolving nature, with the conducting authority introducing changes to the paper pattern from time to time. The specific paper pattern for CAT 2024 has not been officially released. Therefore, it is essential to refer to the official CAT website or official notifications from the conducting authority for the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding the paper pattern for CAT 2024.
However, to provide you with an overview, the general paper pattern of CAT includes the following aspects:
- Sections: CAT typically consists of multiple sections, including Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC), Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DILR), and Quantitative Ability (QA).
- Question Types: The exam includes multiple-choice (MCQs) and non-multiple-choice (non-MCQs) questions. MCQs require candidates to select the correct answer from a given set of options, while non-MCQs may involve typing in the answer or selecting multiple correct options.
- Marking Scheme: Each question carries a specific weightage of marks. Positive marks are awarded for correct answers, while there may be a penalty for incorrect answers, typically in the form of negative marking for MCQs.
- Time Duration: The total exam duration is typically around 180 minutes (3 hours). However, there may be variations in the time allotted to each section or changes in the overall exam duration, so it is crucial to refer to the specific instructions for CAT 2024.
CAT 2024 Syllabus
The CAT (Common Admission Test) is a highly competitive entrance exam for admission to MBA and other management programs offered by top business schools in India. The CAT 2024 syllabus is yet to be officially announced, but it typically covers three major areas: Quantitative Aptitude, Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension, and Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning. Preparing for the CAT exam requires a systematic approach, regular practice, solving previous years’ question papers, and taking mock tests. Candidates should also consider utilizing additional study materials and resources specifically designed for CAT preparation to enhance their knowledge and skills in the areas covered by the syllabus.
The Quantitative Ability section of the CAT exam encompasses a comprehensive range of mathematical topics that candidates must be well-versed in to perform successfully. The syllabus for this section includes:
- Coordinate Geometry and Mensuration
- Sequences and Series
- Surds and Indices
- Set Theory
- Functions and Geometry
- Mixtures and Allegations
- Profit, Loss, and Discount
- Simple and Compound Interest
- Binomial Theorem
- Complex Numbers
- Quadratic and Linear Equations
- Permutation and Combination
- Number Systems
- LCM (Least Common Multiple) and HCF (Highest Common Factor)
- Speed, Time, and Distance
- Time and Work
- Ratio and Proportion
Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning
The Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning section of the CAT exam covers a wide range of topics that assess candidates’ ability to interpret and analyze data and their logical reasoning skills. The syllabus for this section includes:
- Seating Arrangement
- Blood Relations
- Bar Graphs and Column Graphs
- Caselets and Tables
- Venn Diagrams
- Combination of Two or More Types Linked to Each Other
- Cubes and Clocks
- Line Charts and Pie Charts
- Number and Letter Series
- Binary Logic
- Logical Matching
Verbal & Reading Comprehension
The Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension section of the CAT exam covers various topics that evaluate candidates’ language proficiency and reading comprehension skills. The syllabus for this section includes:
- Analogies and Reverse Analogies
- Facts, Inferences, and Judgments
- Grammar or English Usage
- Fill in the Blanks
- Verbal Reasoning
- Meaning/Usage Match
- Summary Questions
- Synonyms and Antonyms (Vocabulary-Based)
- Correction in Sentence
- Reading Comprehension
- Jumbled Paragraph
- Close Passage
CAT 2024 Best Reference Book
It is crucial for candidates preparing for the CAT entrance exam to select the most suitable books for comprehensive CAT preparation across all three sections. Opting for the best books for CAT 2023 is highly advised as it saves time and ensures conceptual clarity.
Using these books will enhance candidates’ thinking abilities, enabling them to find answers easily during the CAT exam. Furthermore, CAT books also boost confidence levels, which is vital for accurately solving questions.
For candidates planning to appear in the upcoming CAT 2024 Examination, the following books are highly recommended for effective preparation:
|Name of the Book||Author|
|How to Prepare for Quantitative Aptitude for CAT||Arun Sharma|
|Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for CAT”||
Arun Sharma and Meenakshi Upadhyay
|Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation for CAT||Nishit K. Sinha|
|Word Power Made Easy||Norman Lewis|
|How to Prepare for the CAT Common Admission Test||
|The Pearson Guide to Verbal Ability and Logical Reasoning for the CAT||Nishit K. Sinha|
|CAT 2024 Solved Papers||Arihant Experts|
IMS Learning Resources
|The Complete CAT Digest||Arun Sharma|
CAT 2024 Mock Test
The CAT 2024 official mock test will be made available online a few days before the actual exam. The conducting authority will provide a link to access the official CAT Mock Test PDF on the official website. Candidates appearing for CAT 2024 can take advantage of these official mock tests provided by IIM CAT to assess their level of preparation. The purpose of the IIM CAT Exam mock test is to acquaint candidates with the typical question formats commonly encountered in the exam. By taking these mock tests, applicants can familiarise themselves with the exam pattern and gain valuable insights into their strengths and areas that require improvement.
CAT mock tests can be taken from various reliable sources. Here are some options:
- Official CAT Website: The official CAT website, managed by the conducting authority, may provide mock tests or sample papers for practice. Check the official website for any available mock tests or sample papers.
- Coaching Institutes: Reputed coaching institutes specializing in CAT preparation often offer mock tests as part of their study material or online programs. These institutes design their mock tests to resemble the actual CAT exam closely.
- Online Learning Platforms: Several online learning platforms provide CAT mock tests. These platforms may offer a range of mock tests, including sectional and full-length mock exams. They often provide detailed performance analysis and feedback.
- CAT Preparation Books: Many CAT preparation books, particularly comprehensive study guides, include mock tests or access to online mock tests. These mock tests supplement the book’s content and provide additional practice opportunities.
- Previous Years’ Question Papers: Accessing and solving previous years’ CAT question papers can be a form of mock test practice. While they may not provide a simulated exam experience, they can help familiarise you with the question types and difficulty level.
- Mobile Applications: Some mobile applications dedicated to CAT preparation offer mock practice tests. These applications often provide a user-friendly interface and access to a wide range of mock tests.
CAT 2024 Preparation Tips
Preparing for the CAT (Common Admission Test) 2024 requires dedication, strategy, and consistent effort. Here are some essential tips to help you with your CAT preparation:
- Familiarise Yourself with CAT Syllabus and Pattern: Thoroughly understand the CAT syllabus, including the topics and subtopics covered in each section. Familiarise yourself with the exam pattern, including the number of sections, question types, and time duration.
- Develop a Preparation Strategy: Create a well-structured study plan based on the syllabus and exam pattern. Set realistic goals and divide your preparation time accordingly. Allocate more time to challenging areas while ensuring comprehensive coverage of all sections.
- Stick to Your Study Routine: Once you have a study routine, follow it diligently. Avoid making excuses and maintain consistency. Allocate dedicated time for studying each day, keeping in mind your energy levels and peak concentration periods.
- Focus on Effective Time Management: Allocate a significant portion of your day to focused study. Break your study sessions into smaller, manageable chunks, and take short breaks to recharge and rejuvenate. This will help maintain your productivity and prevent burnout.
- Create and Review Short Notes: Make concise and organized notes while studying each topic. These notes will serve as a quick reference for important concepts and formulas. Regularly review and revise these notes to reinforce your learning.
- Solve Previous Year and Sample Papers: Practice solving previous year’s CAT question papers to get familiar with the exam format and difficulty level. Analyze your performance, identify weak areas, and work on improving them. Additionally, solve sample papers to gain exposure to various question types.
- Take Mock Tests: Mock tests are crucial for exam preparation. Take regular mock tests to simulate the actual CAT exam environment and improve your speed, accuracy, and time management skills. Analyze your performance in mock tests, identify areas that need improvement, and refine your exam strategy accordingly.
- Seek Guidance and Clarify Doubts: Reach out to mentors, teachers, or CAT experts for guidance and support. Join online forums or CAT preparation groups to interact with peers and discuss doubts, strategies, and study resources. Clearing doubts and seeking guidance will enhance your understanding of concepts and help you overcome challenges.
- Maintain a Positive Attitude: Stay motivated throughout your preparation journey. Believe in your abilities and remain optimistic. Surround yourself with positive influences and draw inspiration from successful CAT aspirants. Celebrate small victories and learn from setbacks.
- Stay Healthy and Balanced: Ensure you maintain a healthy lifestyle during your CAT preparation. Get adequate sleep, eat nutritious meals, and engage in regular physical exercise to keep your mind and body in optimal condition. Balance your study schedule with leisure activities and hobbies to prevent burnout.
CAT 2024 Admit Card
The CAT 2024 admit card will be accessible to registered candidates in October/November 2024. It will be available only through online mode on the official website. It will contain important details regarding the CAT exam, including the exam centre information, exam date, and slot, exam day guidelines, timing/reporting time, and personal information of the candidates necessary for identification. It is crucial for candidates to carefully read and follow the instructions mentioned on the CAT 2024 admit card on the day of the exam.
Candidates must carry the CAT exam admit card and a valid photo ID proof to the CAT test center for the verification process. It is recommended that candidates print 2-3 copies of the CAT hall ticket and also visit the CAT exam center before the exam day. This will help familiarise candidates with the exam center location and ensure a smooth experience on the day of the CAT exam.
How to Download Admit Card
To download the CAT admit card, follow the step-by-step instructions provided below:
- Visit the official website of CAT (iimcat.ac.in).
- On the website’s homepage, you will find the option to log in. Click on it to proceed.
- Enter your registered user ID and password in the provided fields. Make sure you enter the correct credentials associated with your CAT registration.
- After entering your login details, click the “Login” or “Submit” button to access your account.
- Once logged in, navigate to the section where you can find information related to the admit card or hall ticket. This section is usually labeled as “Download Admit Card” or something similar.
- Click on the link to download the admit card. The link might be prominently displayed or located within a specific section or tab, depending on the website’s design.
- The admit card will be displayed as a PDF file on the screen. Take a moment to carefully review all the details on the admit card, such as your name, photograph, signature, exam date, time, and venue. Ensure that all the information is accurate and matches your registration details.
- After verifying the details, click the download button or save the PDF file to your device. Choose a location on your device to access the admit card later easily.
- It is crucial to have a printed copy of your admit card on the day of the exam. Connect your device to a printer and print out the downloaded admit card. Ensure the print quality is clear and all the details are legible.
- Once you have successfully printed the admit card, keep it in a safe place. Make sure to carry the admit card to the exam centre on the designated exam day. It is essential to have the admit card as it serves as proof of your registration and allows you to enter the examination hall.
CAT 2024 Exam Centers
CAT is organized in numerous nationwide examination centers. Candidates must indicate their preferences for six test cities during the application process. The specific details of the allotted CAT exam centers will be provided on the admit card. It is anticipated that CAT 2023 will be conducted in approximately 150 cities across India.
Here is a list of exam centers:
|Andaman and Nicobar Islands||Port Blair|
|Jammu and Kashmir||
Required Documents at the Exam time
During the CAT exam, candidates are required to carry certain documents for verification purposes. Here is a list of the documents that candidates must have with them at the exam center:
- CAT Admit Card: The CAT admit card is a mandatory document that must be carried to the exam center. It serves as proof of registration and eligibility for the exam. Candidates should ensure that they have a printed copy of the admit card.
- Valid Photo ID Proof: Candidates must carry a valid photo ID proof for identity verification. Acceptable ID proofs may include an Aadhaar card, PAN card, Passport, Voter ID, or Driving License. The ID proof’s name should match the admit card’s name.
- Passport-sized Photograph: Candidates should carry a recent passport-sized photograph, which should be the same as the one uploaded during the application process. The photograph may be required for verification purposes.
CUSAT CAT 2024 Online Examination Instruction & Guidelines
The Cochin University of Science and Technology (CUSAT) conducts the Common Admission Test (CAT) for admission to various programs offered by the university. Here are some instructions and guidelines for the CUSAT CAT 2024 online examination:
- System Requirements: Ensure you have a compatible computer or laptop with a stable internet connection. Check the official CUSAT website for any specific system requirements or technical guidelines.
- Admit Card: Download and print your CUSAT CAT 2024 admit card from the official website. The admit card is a mandatory document to carry to the examination center.
- Login Credentials: Make sure your login credentials, including the username and password, are readily available. These details will be required to log in to the online examination portal.
- Examination Format: Familiarize yourself with the examination format, including the number of sections, duration, and marking scheme. Understand the structure and pattern of the exam to manage your time effectively.
- Read Instructions Carefully: Before starting the examination, read all the instructions and guidelines provided on the portal. Pay attention to any specific rules or requirements mentioned.
- Time Management: Plan your time wisely during the examination. Allocate sufficient time to each section based on its weightage and difficulty level. Practice time management during your preparation to improve your speed and accuracy.
- Answering and Navigation: Understand the instructions for answering and navigating through the online examination interface. Familiarise yourself with the features such as selecting options, marking for review, and moving between questions.
- Avoid Distractions: Choose a quiet and distraction-free environment for the examination. Ensure you are not disturbed or interrupted during the test to maintain focus and concentration.
- Technical Support: If you encounter any technical issues during the examination, immediately contact the designated technical support team on the official CUSAT website.
- Follow Examination Ethics: Maintain integrity and honesty during the examination. Avoid any form of cheating, plagiarism, or unfair practices that may lead to disqualification.
CAT Exam Day Guidelines
To ensure a seamless and successful CAT exam experience, candidates must adhere to specific guidelines on the examination day. The following CAT exam day guidelines are essential:
- Reporting Time: Arrive at the exam center at least 60 minutes before the scheduled exam time to complete necessary formalities and security checks.
- Required Documents: Carry the CAT admit card, which should be printed with a recent passport-size photograph affixed. Additionally, bring a valid photo ID proof for identity verification.
- Prohibited Items: Do not bring electronic devices, study material, calculators, watches, wallets, bags, or other prohibited items to the exam center.
- COVID-19 Guidelines: Adhere to COVID-19 guidelines, such as wearing face masks, maintaining social distancing, and using hand sanitizers. Expect temperature checks and health screenings at the entrance.
- Dress Code: While no specific dress code exists, choose comfortable and modest attire. Avoid excessive pockets or accessories.
- Exam Instructions: Carefully read and understand the instructions on the question paper and computer screen before starting the exam. Seek clarification from invigilators if needed.
- Time Management: Allocate appropriate time to each section based on weightage and difficulty level. Avoid spending excessive time on individual questions.
- Answering Method: Follow the prescribed method for answering questions, whether it’s marking answers on the computer screen or using the mouse/keyboard as instructed.
- Exam Discipline: Maintain silence and discipline in the exam hall, following invigilators’ instructions. Any misconduct or violation of exam rules may result in disqualification.
- Post-Exam Procedures: Wait for the invigilator’s instructions before leaving the exam hall. Do not exit until the exam session is officially concluded.
CAT Exam Day Process
The CAT exam day process involves several steps and procedures that candidates need to follow for a smooth and organized examination experience. Here is a breakdown of the CAT exam day process:
- Reporting Time: Candidates must arrive at the exam center at the designated reporting time mentioned in their admit card. Reaching the center well in advance is recommended to avoid any last-minute rush or delays.
- Verification Process: Upon arrival, candidates must go through a verification process, including document and identity verification. Candidates must present their admit card and valid photo ID proof for verification.
- Security Check: Candidates will undergo a security check after the verification process. This may include checking for electronic devices, study materials, and other prohibited items. Complying with the security guidelines and cooperating with the exam staff is important.
- Instructions and Seating: Candidates will be guided to their assigned seats once the security check is completed. Candidates must carefully listen to and follow the instructions provided by the invigilators regarding seating arrangements and other exam-related guidelines.
- Distribution of Question Paper: After candidates are settled in their seats, the invigilators will distribute the question paper. Candidates should carefully check the question paper for any missing or misprinted pages. If any discrepancy is found, it should be immediately reported to the invigilator.
- Exam Duration: The CAT exam is typically conducted in multiple sessions, each with a specific duration. Candidates must manage their time effectively and complete the exam within the allotted time frame.
- Answering Method: Candidates will use a computer system to answer the questions in the CAT exam. The exam interface will provide instructions on navigating through the questions, selecting answers, and moving to the next question. It is important to follow the instructions carefully and familiarise oneself with the computer interface before starting the exam.
- Exam Discipline: During the exam, candidates must maintain silence and strictly adhere to the rules and guidelines. Any form of malpractice or misconduct can lead to disqualification.
- Submission of Exam: At the end of the exam duration, candidates must submit their answers within the specified time. It is important to carefully review the answers before submission and ensure that all questions have been attempted.
- Exit Process: The invigilators will guide candidates to exit the exam hall after submitting the exam. Candidates should wait for instructions and maintain discipline while leaving the center.
CAT 2024 Result
The CAT exam conducting authority will announce the results after publishing the final answer key. The results are expected to be declared in the third week of December 2024, and they will be accessible exclusively through online mode.
The results will be available for all candidates who have participated in the exam. The exam conducting authority will not send the results individually to applicants via mail or offline. Applicants must access their results by logging into the official website of the exam conducting authority.
How to check the CAT Result
To check the CAT result, follow these steps:
- Visit the Official CAT Website: Open your web browser and go to the official CAT website, which is typically hosted by the Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) conducting the CAT exam. The website address is usually www.iimcat.ac.in.
- Find the Result Link: Once on the homepage, look for the link to check the CAT result. This link might be prominently displayed on the homepage or in a section called “Results” or “CAT Result.”
- Click on the Result Link: Click on the result link to proceed to the CAT result page.
- Provide Login Credentials: On the CAT result page, you will be prompted to enter your login credentials. This typically includes your CAT user ID and password, which you received during registration.
- Submit the Details: Enter your login credentials accurately and click the “Submit” or “Login” button.
- View Your Result: After submitting your login details, the CAT result will be displayed on the screen. You can see your overall percentile and section-wise scores for each test section.
- Download and Print the Result: Once the CAT result is shown on the screen, it’s a good idea to download the scorecard or take a screenshot of it for your records. You can also take a printout of the result for future reference and further admission processes.
- Check Sectional Percentiles: Review the section-wise scores apart from the overall percentile. This will give you insights into your performance in each section of the CAT exam.
- Stay Updated: Keep an eye on the official CAT website and your registered email for further updates regarding the admission process or subsequent stages, such as shortlisting for GD/WAT/PI rounds.
Steps to Check Scores and Percentile
The CAT scores and percentile are based on the normalized scoring process, which considers factors such as the exam’s difficulty level and other candidates’ performance. To check your CAT scores and percentile, follow these steps:
- Visit the Official CAT Website: Open your web browser and go to the official CAT website, usually hosted by the Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) conducting the CAT exam. The website address is typically www.iimcat.ac.in.
- Find the Scores and Percentile Link: Once on the homepage, look for the link to check your scores and percentile. This link might be prominently displayed on the homepage or in a section called “Results” or “CAT Result.”
- Click on the Link: Click on the “Scores and Percentile” link to proceed to the page where you can view your CAT scores and percentile.
- Enter Your Login Credentials: On the Scores and Percentile page, you will be prompted to enter your login credentials. These credentials usually include your CAT user ID and password, which you received during registration.
- Submit Your Details: Enter your login credentials accurately and click the “Submit” or “Login” button to proceed.
- View Your Scores and Percentile: After submitting your login details, your CAT scores and percentile will be displayed on the screen. You will see your overall score and sectional scores for each CAT exam section.
- Understand Normalised Scoring: Remember that CAT scores and percentiles are based on a normalization process. This process takes into account the difficulty level of the exam and the performance of other candidates. Normalization ensures fairness and accuracy in evaluating candidates across different test sessions.
- Download or Print the Results: It is recommended to download your CAT scorecard or take a screenshot of the scores and percentile for your records. Additionally, you may also take a printout of the result for future reference and for use in further admission processes.
- Check Sectional Scores: In addition to the overall score and percentile, make sure to review your sectional scores. This will give you insights into your performance in each section of the CAT exam.
- Stay Informed: Keep yourself updated on the official CAT website and your registered email for any further updates regarding the admission process or subsequent stages, such as shortlisting for Group Discussion (GD), Written Ability Test (WAT), and Personal Interview (PI) rounds.
CAT Result Statistics
The CAT result is typically declared in the first week of January, but for the CAT 2022 exam, the result was announced on December 21 at 5:00 PM. Out of the total 2.22 lakh test takers, 11 candidates achieved a perfect score of 100 percentile. Interestingly, all the toppers were male, and it is noteworthy that 10 of them came from non-engineering backgrounds. Additionally, 22 candidates scored 99.99 percentile, with only one female candidate among them. The table below provides the scores of the CAT 2022 toppers:
|Overall Percentile||Total Numbers||Total Gender numbers||
Total State wise numbers
|100 percentiles||11||All Males||
2 – Delhi
1 – Gujarat
1 – Haryana
1 – Kerala
1 – Madhya Pradesh 2 – Maharashtra
2 – Telangana
1 – Uttar Pradesh
|99.99 percentiles||22||Male-21 |
2 – Delhi
3 – Gujarat
2 – Karnataka
3 – Madhya Pradesh 3 – Maharashtra
1 – Punjab
1 – Rajasthan
1 – Tamil Nadu
1 – Telangana
2 – Uttar Pradesh
3 – West Bengal
1 – Andhra Pradesh
2 – Delhi
2 – Haryana
1 – Karnataka
1 – Kerala
1 – Madhya Pradesh 4 – Maharashtra
2 – Odisha
5 – Rajasthan
1 – Uttar Pradesh
1- West Bengal
CAT 2024 Percentile Score Calculation
The CAT 2024 percentile score calculation is based on a normalized scoring process. The percentile score represents the relative performance of a candidate compared to other test-takers. Here is a general overview of how the CAT percentile score is calculated:
- Raw Score Calculation: Each candidate is assigned a raw score based on their performance in the CAT exam. The raw score is the total number of correct answers minus the penalty for incorrect answers.
- Normalization Process: The normalization process adjusts the raw scores to account for differences in the difficulty level of different test sessions. It ensures that candidates’ scores are comparable across different sessions.
- Percentile Calculation: After the normalization process, the percentile score is calculated. The percentile score represents the percentage of candidates who scored below a particular candidate.
- Category-wise Percentile: The percentile score is calculated separately for different categories such as General, SC, ST, OBC, and PwD. Each category has its own percentile calculation.
CAT 2024 Reservation Policy
The CAT (Common Admission Test) follows a reservation policy in accordance with the regulations of the Government of India. The reservation policy promotes diversity and ensures equal opportunities for candidates from various categories. Here is an overview of the CAT 2024 reservation policy:
Percentage of Seats Reserved
|Non-Creamy Other Backward Classes||27%|
|Person with Benchmark Disabilities (PwD)||5%|
|Economically Weaker Sections (EWS)||Up to 10%|
CAT Cut off 2024
The cut-off scores for CAT exams are usually determined by individual participating institutes on their official websites. The CAT Cut Off 2024 set by the IIMs typically ranges from 95 to 100 percentiles. Generally, the cutoff for general category candidates is higher than that for reserved category candidates.
Several factors are considered when determining the CAT cutoff for different IIMs. These factors include the availability of seats, the number of test takers, the difficulty level of the exam paper, previous year cutoff trends, and the institute’s ranking, among others. These factors collectively contribute to setting the cutoff scores for admission to various management programs the IIMs offer.
Minimum Cut-off of CAT Percentile
To secure admission to prestigious Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) and other top MBA colleges in India, candidates must to achieve a minimum cut-off percentile in CAT 2022. The minimum cut-off percentile for CAT 2022 is set at 90 percentile. However, it’s important to note that the cut-off percentiles for different institutes can vary.
Among the top IIMs, such as IIM Ahmedabad, IIM Bangalore, IIM Calcutta, IIM Lucknow, and IIM Kozhikode, the CAT cut-offs are typically higher, often exceeding the 99 percentile. These institutes are highly competitive, and their rigorous selection process emphasizes exceptional academic performance and aptitude.
Here is information regarding admission criteria and cut-off percentiles for CAT 2022:
CAT 2024 Selection Process
The CAT 2024 selection process involves multiple stages that candidates need to successfully navigate to secure admission to MBA or other management programs. While the specific selection process may vary among different participating institutes, the general selection process for CAT 2024 is outlined below:
- CAT 2024 Entrance Exam: The first step is to appear for the CAT entrance exam conducted by the respective IIM. Candidates must register for the exam, prepare thoroughly, and perform well to obtain a competitive CAT percentile score.
- Shortlisting: Based on the CAT exam scores, participating institutes shortlist candidates for the next round of the selection process. The shortlisting criteria may include the CAT percentile, academic performance, work experience, and diversity factors.
- Written Ability Test (WAT) or Essay Writing: Shortlisted candidates must participate in a Written Ability Test or Essay Writing round. This stage evaluates candidates’ written communication skills, analytical thinking, and ability to articulate their thoughts effectively.
- Group Discussion (GD) or Group Exercise (GE): Some institutes may conduct Group Discussion or Group Exercise rounds, where candidates are divided into small groups to discuss and analyze a given topic or solve a case study. This stage assesses candidates’ teamwork, leadership, and communication skills.
- Personal Interview (PI): Shortlisted candidates are interviewed by a panel of experts. The personal interview is a crucial stage where candidates are evaluated on their knowledge, interpersonal skills, career goals, and overall suitability for the program.
- Final Selection: After the completion of the selection rounds, participating institutes prepare a final merit list based on the candidates’ performance in CAT, written tests, group discussions, and personal interviews. The final selection is based on a combination of these factors, and candidates who meet the institute’s cut-off criteria and rank high on the merit list are offered admission.
List of IIMs Accepting CAT Score
The CAT score is accepted by all the Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) located across various cities in India. These IIMs are renowned institutions offering various postgraduate and doctoral programs in management. The selection criteria and admission process may vary among different IIMs, so visiting the respective IIMs’ official websites for detailed information regarding their admission procedures and specific program offerings is advisable. Here is a list of the IIMs that accept CAT scores for admission to their management programs:
- IIM Ahmedabad
- IIM Amritsar
- IIM Bangalore
- IIM Calcutta
- IIM Bodh Gaya
- IIM Indore
- IIM Jammu
- IIM Kashipur
- IIM Lucknow
- IIM Kozhikode
- IIM Nagpur
- IIM Lucknow
- IIM Raipur
- IIM Rohtak
- IIM Ranchi
- IIM Sambalpur
- IIM Sirmaur
- IIM Shillong
- IIM Tiruchirappalli
- IIM Vishakhapatnam
- IIM Udaipur
Top Colleges Accepting CAT Exam Score
There are institutions that are highly esteemed and offer various management programs such as MBA, PGDM, and other specialized courses. It is important to note that each institution may have its own selection criteria, admission process, and cutoff scores. Aspiring candidates are advised to visit the official websites of these institutions to obtain detailed information about their admission procedures and program offerings.
In addition to the Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs), several renowned colleges and universities in India accept CAT exam scores for admission into their management programs. Here is a list of some prominent institutions that consider CAT scores for admission:
- Faculty of Management Studies (FMS), University of Delhi
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) – Department of Management Studies
- Xavier Labour Relations Institute (XLRI), Jamshedpur
- Management Development Institute (MDI), Gurgaon
- S.P. Jain Institute of Management and Research (SPJIMR), Mumbai
- National Institute of Industrial Engineering (NITIE), Mumbai
- Institute of Management Technology (IMT), Ghaziabad
- International Management Institute (IMI), Delhi
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS), Mumbai
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies (NMIMS), Mumbai
IIM Fees – Campus Wise
The fees for the Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) can vary from one campus to another. Here is a list of IIMs (Indian Institutes of Management) along with their respective campus locations and the approximate fee structure for their management programs:
|IIM campus||MBA/PGP fees|
|IIM Ahmedabad||INR 24.61 lakh|
|IIM Bangalore||INR 24.50 lakh|
|IIM Calcutta||INR 27.00 Lakh|
|IIM Lucknow||INR 20.70 lakh|
|IIM Kozhikode||INR 20.50 lakh|
INR 16.10 lakh (excluding boarding fees)
|IIM Udaipur||INR 19.00 lakh|
|IIM Rohtak||INR 17.60 lakh|
|IIM Visakhapatnam||INR 17.58 lakh|
|IIM Trichy||INR 21.00 lakh|
|IIM Sambalpur||INR 13.08 lakh|
|IIM Ranchi||INR 17.50 lakh|
|IIM Bodhgaya||INR 15.50 lakh|
INR 15.75 lakh (including fees for international immersion programme)
|IIM Jammu||INR 17.15 lakh|
|IIM Amritsar||INR 16.00 lakh|
|IIM Shillong||INR 17. 50 lakh|
|IIM Kashipur||INR 17.30 lakh|
|IIM Nagpur||INR 18.00 lakh|
|IIM Indore||INR 21.14 lakh|
CAT 2024 Score vs Percentile
Typically, candidates who score above the 80th percentile in the CAT 2023 exam have a higher chance of being selected and invited for further rounds of the admission process by top B-schools in India. Based on their CAT cutoff marks, candidates are then shortlisted by the IIMs and invited to participate in the selection process for admission. It’s important to note that the specific cutoff marks and selection criteria may vary among different institutions.
The CAT score versus percentile can be categorized into four main ranges:
- 95.01 percentile and above
- 90.01 to 95 percentile
- 85.01 to 90 percentile
- 80 to 85 percentile
CAT 2024 Admission Procedure
The CAT 2024 admission procedure generally involves multiple stages and is specific to each participating institute. Here is a general outline of the CAT 2024 admission procedure:
- CAT Exam: Candidates need to appear for the CAT exam and achieve the required cutoff percentile to be eligible for the admission process.
- Shortlisting: Institutes shortlist candidates based on their CAT scores and cutoff criteria. Shortlisted candidates are usually invited for further selection rounds.
- Selection Rounds: The selection rounds may include Group Discussion (GD), Written Ability Test (WAT), Personal Interview (PI), and/or other components depending on the institute. These rounds assess candidates’ communication skills, analytical thinking, problem-solving abilities, and overall suitability for the management program.
- Final Merit List: Institutes prepare a final merit list based on the performance of candidates in the selection rounds, CAT scores, academic records, work experience, and other relevant factors.
- Offer of Admission: Candidates who make it to the final merit list receive offers of admission from the participating institutes. The offer usually includes details regarding program specialization, fee structure, and other necessary information.
- Acceptance of Offer: Candidates must accept the offer within the specified deadline and follow the institute’s instructions to complete the admission formalities, such as document verification and payment of fees.
CAT 2024 Contact Information
The contact information for CAT 2024 may vary depending on the conducting authority and the participating institutes. However, here are some general contact details that can be useful:
- Queries regarding CAT Registration, Application, Payment Processing, and Document uploading:
Time: 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM (Monday to Saturday)
- For academic queries like eligibility, category, and PwD certificate contact the CAT Centre office with the following details.
Phone: +91-080-26993388 / 3017 / 3013
Time: 9:30 AM to 5:30 PM (Monday to Friday
Address: CAT Centre
C/o. Admissions Office,
Indian Institute of Management Bangalore,
Bannerghatta Road, Bengaluru – 560 076, Karnataka, India.
The Common Admission Test (CAT) 2024 is a vital exam for MBA aspirants seeking management education in India. It is a gateway to esteemed business schools, including the prestigious IIMs. CAT 2024 evaluates candidates’ skills in verbal ability, reading comprehension, data interpretation, logical reasoning, and quantitative ability. CAT opens doors to diverse management programs and promising careers. It is a highly competitive exam requiring dedication, perseverance, and continuous self-improvement. Candidates who leverage their strengths, address weaknesses, and stay updated with industry trends maximize their chances of securing admission to top-tier management institutes, paving the way for a bright future.
CAT 2024 FAQs
When should I apply for CAT 2024?
The CAT 2024 registration process will open in August’s first week at iimcat.ac.in and will remain open for more than 45 days. Eligible candidates with 50% marks in graduation can apply for CAT 2024, the prominent management entrance exam in India.
Am I eligible for CAT 2024?
Applicants must have a Bachelor’s degree awarded by a University or Institution recognised by the authority. Those appearing in the final year of their degree or awaiting results after completing the degree are also eligible to apply.
Which IIM is setting CAT 2024?
CAT stands for Common Admission Test. The CAT exam for the year 2024 will be organised by the Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Lucknow, serving as a gateway for students seeking admission to various management programs in prestigious business schools across India.
How many attempts for CAT 2024?
CAT does not impose any age restrictions, providing equal opportunities to candidates of all ages. Moreover, there is no limit on the number of attempts allowed for the CAT exam, enabling aspirants to take the test multiple times to improve their scores and chances of admission.
How hard is the 95 percentile in CAT?
Scoring more than 95 percentile in CAT is not so tough. The only matter is your efforts and your strategy for the CAT preparation. Many top MBA colleges have the 95+ percentile of the CAT cut-off to offer admission for an MBA.
Is it easy to score 99 percentile in CAT?
No, Around 1814 students have scored above the 99 percentile; while the number of students who’ve scored above the 95 percentile is 9003. This year, around 2.18 lakh students registered for the CAT, while the number of students who sat for the exam was approximately 1.79 lakh.
What happens if I score 0 in CAT?
If you score 0 in CAT, it implies that you haven’t answered any questions correctly or left the entire exam blank. Such a score is extremely rare and may severely affect your chances of admission to management programs.
How many students scored 99.5 percentile in CAT?
Since around 2 lakh candidates appear for CAT yearly, the top 1%, i.e. around 20,000 candidates, get a 99+ percentile score.
Is it tough to get the 70 percentile in CAT?
Scoring 70 percentile in CAT is regarded as a moderate performance, placing you above average compared to other test takers. While it may not guarantee admission to top-tier institutions, it still showcases your potential and opens doors to various decent B-schools.
Which IIM is the lowest cutoff?
You will get a call from IIM if you touch 90 percentile or above. Most of the new IIMs have their cut-off requirement set at 85, with IIM Shillong having a cut-off set at 70 in CAT.
Can I get an IIM with a 65 percentile?
There is a faint chance of any IIM calling candidates having 60-70 CAT percentile even though they have exceptional portfolios and caste/PwD categories. The IIMs consider candidates with over 90 percentile in CAT, and the lowest they go in terms of cut-offs is 85 percentile.
Can I fill out the Application Form offline mode?
There is no option to submit the CAT form in offline mode. Candidates must create an account on the CAT website once the registrations begin and fill out the CAT form through that candidate account. Candidates must also note that no website hosts the CAT form other than IIM, CAT.
What is the age limit for the CAT exam?
While there is no age limit for the CAT Exam and IIM eligibility. The CAT entrance exam accepts a 2-year bachelor’s degree. However, it is not accepted by the IIMs.
Is IIM private or government?
Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad (IIMA) is a government institute in Vastrapur, Ahmedabad. The institute was established in 1961 and set up by the Government of India with the collaboration of the Government of Gujarat and the Indian industry as an independent institute.
Will there be any correction facility after the completion of the registration process CAT?
The exam conducting authorities open the CAT application form correction window after the CAT registration process is successfully completed. The CAT application correction window is typically opened in the last week of September every year after the conclusion of the registration process.
Can I use CAT 2024 scores for admission in any Non-IIMs?
Yes, many Non-IIM institutions in India accept CAT scores for admission to their management programs. Numerous universities, colleges, and business schools consider CAT 2024 scores as part of their selection criteria for granting admissions to MBA and related courses.
If I miss the last date to submit the CAT application form, will I still get a chance to apply for it?
If you miss the last date to submit the CAT application form, you won’t be able to apply for the current year’s exam. CAT is typically conducted once a year, so you’ll need to wait until the next year’s registration period to apply.