Latest Applications Open 2024:
GATE 2023 Online Counselling Registration has been Started on 5th June 2023. Score Card has been Available on 21st March 2023. Results has been Declared on 16th March 2023. Official Provisional Answer Key has been released on 21st February 2023. The Response Key has been Available on 15th February 2023. The Exam Schedule has been Released now. The Examination was held on the 4th, 5th, 11th & 12th of February 2023. The GATE exam is conducted by the Indian Institute of Technology at the National level every year in India. It is an entrance exam for admissions to different courses for Master’s programs. With the GATE exam, candidates can easily get admission into Engineering courses.
The GATE exam is conducted annually by any of the IITs present in the country. IIT Kanpur conducted GATE 2022. GATE exam marks are also considered in foreign universities if you plan for any.
There will be 29 papers in the GATE 2023 exam instead of 27 papers as in previous years. The GATE 2023 exam would be conducted at IIT Kanpur. The information related to GATE Exam 2023 would be available on the official website and all the other important information is given below.
GATE 2023 Notification – Counselling Started
GATE 2023 Official Provisional Answer Key has been Released on 21st February 2023. Click Here to Check the Answer Key Details.
GATE 2023 Official Answer Key has been Released on 15th February 2023. Click Here to Check the Answer Key Details.
Latest Applications For Various UG & PG Courses Open 2024
- Parul University | Admissions Open for All Courses 2024. Apply Now
- UPES Dehradun | Admissions Open for All Courses 2024. Apply Now
- Chandigarh University | Admissions Open for All Courses 2024. Apply Now
- LPU 2024 | Admissions Open for All Courses 2024. Apply Now
- IIAD, Delhi | Admissions Open for All Courses 2024. Apply Now
- GIBS, Bangalore | PGDM Applications Open. Package upto 15.5 LPA. Apply Now
- GNIOT, Greater Noida | Admissions Open for All Courses 2023. Apply Now
- Narayana Business School | Admissions Open for All Courses 2024. Apply Now
- The Design Village | Admissions Open for All Courses 2024. Apply Now
- IMS Ghaziabad UC Campus | Admissions Open for All Courses 2024. Apply Now
- KIIT School of Management | Admissions Open for All Courses 2024. Apply Now
- KSRM | Admissions Open for All Courses 2024. Apply Now
GATE 2024 Quick Links
GATE 2023 Highlights
|Full-Form||Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering|
|Exam Types||PG Level|
|Exam Level||National Level|
|Courses Offered||Engineering and Technology|
|Conducting Body||(IITK) Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur|
|Exam Mode||Online (Fully Computer Based Test)|
|Exam Date||4th, 5th & 11th, 12th February 2023|
|Exam Duration||03 Hours|
|Sections||General Aptitude (GA) + Candidate’s Selected Subject|
|Helpline||Tel: 0512-2596962, 0512-2596963|
|Email Id: gate @ iitk.ac.in|
|Two NEW subject papers are Added||ES (Environmental Science and Engineering)|
|XH (Humanities and Social Sciences) in Economics / English / Linguistics / Philosophy / Psychology / Sociology.|
|Total number of subject papers||27|
|All Test Papers of GATE 2021||Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ),|
Multiple Select Questions (MSQ),
Numerical Answer Type (NAT).
|ONE or TWO subject papers allowed||TWO Paper combinations have to be chosen from the given list of combinations of papers.|
|Eligibility Criteria Relaxation ||A Candidate who is currently studying in the 3rd or higher years of any undergraduate degree program OR has already completed any Government approved degree program in Engineering / Technology / Architecture / Science / Commerce / Arts|
|AGE Limit||NO Age limit to appear for the GATE 2021 examination|
GATE 2023 Important Dates
Dates are very important for an exam. It helps candidates to plan and prepare accordingly. The GATE Exam 2023 important dates would be notified on the official website and the other important dates are given in the table below:
|GATE 2023 Notification Release Date||28th July 2022|
|GATE 2023 Registration Start Date||30th August 2022|
|GATE 2023 Registration Last Date||7th October 2022|
|GATE Registration Last Date (with late fee)||16th October 2022|
|Application Form Correction Date||8th – 14th November 2022|
|GATE 2023 Admit Card Release Date||9th January 2023|
|GATE 2023 Exam Date||4th, 5th, 11th & 12th February 2023|
|Answer Key||15th February 2023|
|Result||16th March 2023|
GATE 2023 Application Form
The application form is a very crucial step for any exam. The GATE exam 2023 application form would be made available only on the official website. The GATE 2023 exam registration would begin on 30th August 2022.
The application process is a very crucial step so the candidates are advised to read all the instructions carefully. All the other details about the application form are given below:
- The application form will be released online on the official website only.
- The start date to submit the application form online is from 30th August 2022.
- The last date to submit the application form will be 7th October 2022.
- An applicant cannot fill out more than one application form.
- Candidates have to upload all your mentioned documents with care.
- Fill in your information very carefully to avoid any mistakes and cancellations.
- Fill in your details such as Name, Date of birth, and Address very carefully to avoid cancellations.
- Upload all your documents which are required very carefully and they should be in the prescribed format as mentioned in the instructions.
- Remember to note down your registration number, User ID, and Password.
- Candidates should take the printout of the application form after they have completed filling in all the details.
- Candidates will not have to send any hard copies.
Steps to fill out the application form are given below:
- Visit the official site and register yourself.
- Once your registration is completed, you will need to open a window for your GATE login.
- Now fill up the GATE application form.
- Upload all the required documents like photographs and signatures.
- Make the payment of GATE exam fees before submitting.
- Then, click on the submit button.
The Indian candidates who would be applying for GATE 2023 will have to submit some documents and those are given below:
- For Science Degree course completion certificate/provisional certificate/4th Semester mark sheet/3rd-semester mark sheet/2nd-semester mark sheet/1st-year mark sheet/Pre-final year mark sheet in case of integrated degree/Provisional CeFor Engineering Degree course completion certificate/provisional certificate/8th Semester mark sheet/7th-semester mark sheet/6th-semester mark sheet/Pre or final year mark sheet in case of integrated degree/AMIE and Completed one section/Provisional Certificate Letter.
- Your name, your date of birth, your mobile number, your parent’s name, your parent’s mobile number.
- Residential Address for Communication with an area PIN code.
- Degree scanned with a size under 10-300 kb in pdf format (upload only one page of anyone document)
- Scanned image of your signature of size 5-150 kb in jpeg/jpg
- Scanned copy of Category/PwD Certificate (if applicable) in size 10-300 kb in pdf
- ID Proof: Passport/PAN Card/Voter ID/Aadhaar UID/Driving Licence/College ID/Employee ID card
- Bank details for application fees
- College address with a PIN code
- Choice of GATE exam cities
- Scanned image of the thumb impression of size 2-150 kb in jpeg/jpg
- Scanned image of your photograph of size 5-200 kb in jpeg/jpg
GATE 2023 Application Fee
Application fees are a crucial step after filling out the application form. The exam conducting authority sets the application fee for all the candidates who will give the exam. All the candidates before submitting the application form candidates have to pay the application fee.
You can take a look at the application fees for GATE 2023 given below:
|Category||On or before the Last Date||During the Extended period|
|For Examination Centres in India|
|Female candidates||₹ 750/-||₹ 1250/-|
|SC/ST/PwD* category candidates||₹ 750/-||₹ 1250/-|
|All other candidates||₹ 1500/-||₹ 2000/-|
|For Examination Centres outside India (All Candidates)|
|Addis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka, and Kathmandu||US$ 50/-||US$ 70/-|
|Dubai and Singapore||US$ 100/-||US$ 120/-|
GATE 2023 Application Form Correction
The conducting body will provide GATE 2023 Application form correction facility. The candidates would correct their application forms on the official website. Categories like Exam, Exam city, Papers, and others would be available for the candidates to change.
The moment the correction window gets closed there will be no other chance provided to correct the application form. The candidates would also be asked to pay a certain fee for correction. For more information keep on checking the official website so that you do not miss out on any updates.
GATE 2023 Eligibility Criteria
Eligibility criteria are very important information every candidate should look for before applying for the exam. The conducting authority sets the eligibility criteria for every candidate.
It is advised to all the candidates to not miss out on any point about eligibility criteria. The GATE exam 2023 eligibility criteria are given below:
The candidate should be of Indian nationality to apply for GATE 2023. Candidates from other countries like Nepal, Bangladesh, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Ethiopia, and the United Arab Emirates are also eligible for the GATE exam.
Students who have already completed any degree program approved by the Government in Engineering, Technology, Architecture, Science, Commerce or Arts are eligible to appear for the GATE 2023 examination. Along with that students who are still studying in the 3rd year or final year of any undergraduate course can also apply for the GATE exam.
- BE/B. Tech/B. Pharma
- B.Sc (Research)/B.S
- Professional Society Examination (equivalent to B.E./B. Tech/B. Arch)
- M.Sc./M.A./MCA or equivalent
- Integrated M.E/M.Tech (Post – B.Sc)
- Integrated M.Sc./Integrated B.S-M.S
- Integrated M.E./M.Tech or Dual Degree (after Diploma or 10+2)
- The minimum qualification is 10+2=3.
There is no age limit set to apply for the GATE 2023 exam.
There are no qualifying marks set for GATE 2023.
Eligibility for International Candidates
Candidates living in countries like Nepal, Bangladesh, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Ethiopia, and the United Arab Emirates are eligible to apply for GATE. All the candidates from these countries must have completed their graduation or be in their final year or the pre-final year of their bachelor’s degree in engineering and technology or equivalent.
GATE 2023 Exam Pattern
Exam pattern is another set of information that is important. Every candidate is advised to check the exam pattern before starting to prepare for the exam to get an idea. The exam pattern for GATE 2023 is given below:
- Mode of Examination: Online
- Duration of Exam: 3 hours
- Marking scheme: 1 mark for each right answer
- Negative marking: No mark will be deducted for a wrong answer for Numerical type questions and a negative mark will be deducted in the MCQ question.
- Question types: MCQs and Numerical Answer Type (NAT)
- Total Questions: 65
- Sections: 2 sections
The marking scheme for the GATE 2023 exam is given below:
- MCQs carrying 1 mark: 1/3 mark will be deducted for every incorrect answer.
- MCQs carrying 2 marks: 2/3 marks will be deducted for every incorrect answer.
- Multiple Select Question (MSQ) and Numerical Answer Type (NAT) Questions have no negative marking.
- 1/3 marks will be deducted for the wrong answers, that is 0.33 marks for 1 mark questions, and 0.66 marks will be deducted for questions carrying 2 marks.
- No mark will be deducted for the wrong answer to NAT questions.
Gate 2023 Syllabus
The syllabus is the most crucial information about the exam. Every candidate’s result depends on how well they have prepared the syllabus. The moment you get the syllabus you should start planning and preparing.
GATE 2023 syllabus subject-wise is given below:
GATE Mechanical Syllabus
General Aptitude Section
|Verbal Aptitude||Basic English grammar such as tenses, articles, adjectives, prepositions, conjunctions, verb-noun agreement, and other parts of speech
Basic vocabularies such as words, idioms, and phrases in context
Reading and comprehension
|Quantitative Aptitude||Data interpretation that includes data graphs (bar graphs, pie charts, and other graphs representing data), 2- and 3-dimensional plots, maps, and tables
Numerical computation and estimation that includes ratios, percentages, powers, exponents and logarithms, permutations and combinations, and series
Mensuration and geometry Elementary statistics and probability
|Analytical Aptitude||Logic: deduction and induction Analogy Numerical relations and reasoning|
|Spatial Aptitude||Transformation of shapes such as translation, rotation, scaling, mirroring, assembling, and grouping Paper folding, cutting, and patterns in 2 and 3 dimensions|
Applied Mechanics and Design
- Free-body diagrams and Equilibrium
- Trusses and frames
- Virtual work
- Impulse and momentum (linear and angular) and energy formulations, collisions
- Kinematics and dynamics of particles and rigid bodies in plane motion
- Probability and Statistics: This section of the GATE Mechanical syllabus comprises a few definitions and theorems which are definitions of probability, sampling theorems, conditional probability, the mean, median, mode, and standard deviation, random variables, binomial, Poisson and normal distributions.
Numerical Methods: This part of the GATE Mechanical syllabus carries the following topics:
- Numerical solutions of linear and non-linear algebraic equations
- Integration by trapezoidal and Simpson’s rules
- Single and multi-step methods for differential equations.
- Linear Algebra comprises the Matrix Algebra, Systems of linear equations and Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors. Calculus: This section of the Engineering Mathematics syllabus comprises the following topics Functions of a single variable, Limit, Continuity, Differentiability, Mean value theorems, Indeterminate forms, Evaluation of definite and improper integrals, Double and triple integrals, Partial derivatives, total derivative, etc.
Differential Equations: This section of Engineering Mathematics comprises a few topics that are given below:
- First-order equations (linear and nonlinear)
- Higher-order linear differential equations with constant coefficients
- Euler-Cauchy equation
- Initial and boundary value problems
- Laplace transforms
- Solutions of heat, wave, and Laplace’s equations
GATE Computer Science Syllabus
Gate computer science syllabus is divided into 10 sections given below:
- Section 1: General Aptitude
- Section 2: Engineering Mathematics
- Section 3: Digital Logic
- Section 4: Computer Organisation and Architecture
- Section 5: Programming and Data Structures
- Section 6: Algorithms
- Section 7: Theory of Computation
- Section 8: Compiler Design
- Section 9: Operating System
- Section 10: Databases
- Section 11: Computer Networks
GATE electrical Syllabus
GATE electrical syllabus is divided into 11 sections given below:
- General Aptitude
- Engineering Mathematics
- Electrical Circuits,
- Electromagnetic Fields,
- Signals and Systems,
- Electrical Machines,
- Power Systems,
- Control Systems,
- Electrical and Electronic Measurements,
- Analog and Digital Electronics and
- Power Electronics.
GATE 2023 Civil Syllabus
- General Aptitude
- Engineering Mathematics
- Structural Engineering
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Water Resources Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Transportation Engineering
- Geomatics Engineering
GATE 2023 Preparation Tips
Before you start preparing for the GATE 2023 exam make sure you read the preparation tips so that you get to know what are the best ways in which you can prepare for the exam and give your best to score well. The preparation tips for the GATE 2023 exam are given below:
- Prepare the moment you get the syllabus and dates for the exam to not waste any time as time is precious.
- Plan out your time accordingly, you can also make a timetable so that you do not miss out on any topics.
- Start preparing on time so that you do not feel burdened before the exam.
- Revision is the key to acing any exam.
- Revise thoroughly before exams at least once as it will help you brush up on what you learned.
- You can also make your notes while studying for the exam for better understanding.
- Read the syllabus carefully to get the idea and do not miss any point in the syllabus.
- Give your best and be confident in yourself.
GATE 2023 Books
Books are the simplest source of information which is easily available everywhere. GATE 2023 best and most important books are given below:
|Topics||GATE Book Name|
|Heat Transfer||Fundamentals of Engineering Heat and Mass Transfer by R.C. Sachdeva|
|Machine Design||Design of Machine Elements by V Bhandari|
|Engineering Mathematics||Higher Engineering Mathematics by B. S. Grewal|
|Industrial Engineering||Industrial Engineering and Management by O. P. Khanna|
|Thermal Science||Engineering Thermodynamics by P.K. Nag|
|GATE CE Books|
|Engineering Mathematics||Higher Engineering Mathematics (Edition 43) by
|Strength of Materials||Strength of Materials (Edition 2) by
|Design Of Steel Structures||Design of Steel Structures (Edition 3) by
|Highway Engineering||Highway Engineering by S.K.Khanna, C.E.G.Justo|
|Structural Analysis||Basic Structural Analysis (Edition 3) by
|Engineering Hydrology||Engineering Hydrology (Edition 4) by
|Irrigation Engineering||Irrigation Engineering and Hydraulic Structures (Edition 1) by S K Garg|
|GATE EE Books|
|Power Electronics||Power Electronics (Edition 5) by P.S.Bimbhra|
|Control Systems||Control Systems Engineering (Edition 5) by I.J.Nagrath, M. Gopal|
|Electrical Machines||Electrical Machinery (Edition 7) by P. S. Bimbhra|
|Electromagnetic Fields||Engineering Electromagnetics (Edition 8) by William H Hayt, John A Buck|
|GATE CSE Books|
|Computer Networks||Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach (Edition 6) by James F. Kurose, Keith W. Ross|
|Databases||Database System Concepts (Edition 6) by Silberschatz, Sudarshan, Korth|
|Algorithms||Introduction to Algorithms (Edition 3) by Thomas H. Cormen, Charles E. Leiserson, Ronald L. Rivest, Clifford Stein|
|Digital Logic||Digital Logic & Computer Design (Edition 1) by M. Morris Mano|
|GATE ECE Books|
|Analog Circuits||Microelectronic Circuits: Theory and Applications (Edition 6) by Adel S. Sedra, Kenneth C. Smith|
|Signals & Systems||Signals & Systems (Edition 2) by Alan V. Oppenheim, Alan S.Willsky, S.Hamid Nawab|
|Electromagnetics||Principles of Electromagnetics (Edition 4) by Mathew N.O. Sadiku|
|Control Systems||Automatic Control Systems (Edition 9) by Benjamin C. Kuo|
GATE 2023 Admit Card
After filling out the application form and paying the application fee you will get the admit card for the GATE 2023 exam. An admit card is an essential document for an exam. Admit cards will only be made available on the official website.
Candidates would have to carry the admit card to the exam hall as it is a mandatory rule and the candidates who fail to do so would not be allowed to give the exam. The GATE 2023 admit card would be made available on the official website one month before the exam.
Steps to download the admit card are given below:
- Visit the official GATE 2023 website to download the admit card.
- Now, enter the enrollment number and password.
- Click on the GATE Login option.
- Click on the GATE admit card download link option.
- Then admit cards will be downloaded in pdf format.
- Save it and take a printout.
GATE 2023 Answer Key
The answer Key for GATE 2023 would be made available only on the official website of GATE by IIT Kanpur. The answer key would be released after a week of the exam. The answer key would be of great help for students as they would be able to match their answers with the answer key.
The conducting authorities would also give the candidates to raise queries against the answer key. This facility would be open for 3 or 4 days only. The candidates would be required to pay INR 500 for each question they want to raise a query against. The fee would also be refunded if the query raised is correct.
GATE 2023 Result
GATE 2023 exam results will only be available on GATE’s official website. The candidates could see their results in the week of March 2023. The GATE 2023 result would only be released after the final answer key is released.
All the candidates must check the official website not to miss any update or notifications about GATE 2023 exam results.
GATE 2023 Cut Off
GATE 2023 cut-off would be released by IIT Kanpur on the official website only for each paper. The cut-off for GATE 2023 would be released in two kinds. The first cut-off would be by the official conducting body of GATE which will have the minimum score required by the candidates to pass the GATE exam.
The other cut-off would be by the institutes that would release their cut-off for admissions in different courses. You can take a look at the cut-off of 2022 to get an idea.
|Papers||GATE 2022 Cut Off|
|Computer Science and Information Technology (CS)||25||22.5||16.6|
|Electronics and Communications Engineering (EC)||25||22.5||16.5|
|Electrical Engineering (EE)||30.7||27.6||20.4|
|Chemical Engineering (CH)||25.3||22.7||16.8|
|Instrumentation Engineering (IN)||42.4||38.1||28.2|
|Mechanical Engineering (ME)||28.1||25.2||18.7|
|Geomatics Engineering (GE)||40.4||36.3||26.9|
|Civil Engineering (CE)||30.4||27.4||20.2|
|Metallurgical Engineering (MT)||46.2||41.5||30.8|
|Agricultural Engineering (AG)||26.3||23.6||17.5|
|Ecology and Evolution (EY)||33.4||30||22.2|
|Environmental Science and Engineering (ES)||40.3||36.2||26.8|
|Life Sciences (XL)||33.9||30.5||22.5|
|Textile Engineering and Fibre Science (TF)||36.8||34.9||25.6|
|Aerospace Engineering (AE)||ABU||TBU||TBU|
|Architecture and Planning (AR)||TBU||TBU||TBU|
|Biomedical Engineering (BM)||TBU||TBU||TBU|
|Geology and Geophysics (GG)||TBU||TBU||TBU|
|Mining Engineering (MN)||TBU||TBU||TBU|
|Petroleum Engineering (PE)||TBU||TBU||TBU|
|Production and Industrial Engineering (PI)||TBU||TBU||TBU|
|Humanities and Social Sciences (XH)||TBU||TBU||TBU|
|Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering (NM)||TBU||TBU||TBU|
|Engineering Sciences (XE)||TBU||TBU||TBU|
GATE 2023 Counselling
The GATE 2023 counselling process for qualified candidates would start in May 2023. All the candidates are advised to register for the counselling process. The counselling process would be done separately by the participating institutions.
Centralized counselling called CCMT (Centralised Counselling for M. Tech/M. Plan), is conducted to get admission into IIT, NIT, and other government institutes. The IITs conduct their counselling for admission in M.Tech courses. The other state-level universities conduct their counselling for admissions in different courses.
Question:- Where can I get the application form for GATE 2023?
Ans- The application form for GATE 2023 would be made available only on the official website.
Question:- Is the GATE exam compulsory for all engineers?
Ans- No, the GATE exam is not compulsory for all engineers.
Question:- How many total questions would be asked in the GATE 2023 exam?
Ans- A total of 65 questions would be asked in the GATE 2023 exam.
Question:- How many papers can an applicant apply for in the GATE 2023 exam?
Ans- One applicant can apply for 2 papers in GATE 2023.
Question:- Is there any negative marking in the MCQ section?
Ans- There is a negative marking in the MCQ section of GATE 2023.
If you have any other queries about GATE 2023, you can leave your question below in the comment box.
As a dedicated Biology Science graduate, I’m passionate about sharing the latest updates in national and state entrance exams through my blog. I aim to keep aspiring students informed about exam trends, important dates, and changes in syllabi. With a keen interest in education, I strive to offer valuable insights for students navigating the competitive landscape of entrance examinations and admission tests. Stay updated with me.