UPSC MCQs Quiz 13: Geography with answers
1. A person stood alone in a desert on a dark night and wanted to reach his village, which was situated 5 km East of the point where he was standing. He had no instruments to find the direction, but he located the polestar. The most convenient way now to reach his village is to walk in the [IAS 2012]
- direction facing the polestar
- direction opposite to the polestar
- direction keeping the polestar to his left
- direction keeping the polestar to his right
2. According to Big Bang Theory, our universe sprang into existence as ‘singularity’ around 13.7 billion years ago. Who proposed Big Bang Theory?
- E George Lamantor
3. Which one among the following planets is smaller in size than the Earth? [NDA 2009]
4. Which one of the following statements is not correct?
- All meridians run in a true North-South direction
- Meridians are spaced farthest apart at the Equator and converge to common points at the poles
- All meridians are always parallel to one another
- An indefinite number of meridians may be drawn on a globe
5. Ozone holes are more pronounced at the
- Tropic of Cancer
- Tropic of Capricorn
6. In the interior of the Earth
- the temperature falls with increasing depth
- the pressure falls with increasing depth
- the temperature rises with increasing depth
- Both temperature and pressure fall with increasing depth
7. Which one among the following is a primary rock?
- None of these
8. Which one of the following cities is located on the bank of the Irrawaddy river?
9. Which one of the following is the type of plate boundary of the Indian plate along the Himalayan mountains?
- Ocean-continent convergence
- Divergent boundary
- Transform boundary
- Continent-continent convergence
10. Which one among the following rivers is the longest? [IAS 2007]
- 1. (d)
- 2. (a)
- 3. (b)
- 4. (c)
- 5. (d)
- 6. (c )
- 7. (b)
- 8. (b)
- 9. (d)
- 10. (a)