Functions of an IAS Officers
IAS is one of the three all India Services, which was formed in the year 1946. The Indian Administrative Service (IAS) is the administrative civil service of the Government of India. IAS officers hold key positions in the Union government, state governments and public-sector undertakings.
The IAS or Indian Administrative Service is the most preferred career in India. No other career or job can offer you the same power, perks, status, privileges, and job satisfaction as the IAS including the tremendous opportunity offered to contribute positively to the society. Ours is a vast country that needs to have distinct systems of management to ensure smooth functioning. The Indian Administrative Service is a branch of the Indian Civil Service. The role of an IAS officer is to see to the administrative matters of the government.
What work IAS officers do?? Or what are their functions??There are many question that arises in the mind of IAS exam appearing candidate. We all know being IAS officer it is the responsibility of that officer to serve his nation. Selected candidates get their training at Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration.
Being IAS occupy some of the most responsible positions in the government.
Following are the functions of IAS officers:-
- Handles affairs of government this include the framing and implementation of policy in consultation with the concerned ministry.
- A collection of revenue and function as Courts in revenue matters.
- Maintenance of law and order.
- The officers are answerable to the Parliament and State Legislatures for any irregularities that may occur.
- Supervision of implementation of policies of State Government and Central Government.
- To travel to places to oversee implementation of policies.
- The functions and responsibilities of an IAS officer change at different points of his/her career.
- All the beginning of their career IAS officers join the state administration at the sub-divisional level, as a sub-divisional magistrate, and look after law and order, general administration and development work in the area under their charge.
- In the process of policy formulation and decision making, IAS officers at various levels like Joint Secretary, Deputy Secretary etc. Make their contributions and the give final shape to policies.
- He/she Function as Executive Magistrate.
- At the district level, officers are mainly concerned with district affairs, including implementation of developmental programs.
- During the normal course of a career, the officers also serve in the State Secretariat or as Heads of Departments or in Public Sector Undertakings.
- Supervision of expenditure of public funds as per norms of financial propriety.
- The main work of IAS officers at the Centre involves formulation and implementation of policies pertaining to a particular area e.g., finance, commerce, etc
- IAS officer also has to manage the districts during the natural disaster like floods, earthquake or in the case of riots etc. In such scenario, IAS officers become ear and eyes of the state or central government keeping them updated with the current situation and help the government take necessary actions.